Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Cruiser bike vs touing bike vs mountain bike vs road bike?

I'm goin to start commuting by bike next month. My commute is going to be in Queens, NYC. I already planned and searched for the safest route and it will be aprox 8 miles (16 total).

I'm looking for a bike right now. I'm not going to be carrying anything heavy, only a regular messenger bag. After spending a considerable amount of time reading about the different types of bikes there are out there, but I still don't know what type would be the most comfortable and appropriate for my daily commute.

I've been looking at this 10 speed cruiser.bikehttp://greatusedbikes.smugmug.com/gallery/2347548_...

The upright position seems like an advantage since I have some lower back problems. But then again, I've never ridden a touring or road bike to know how comfy they are.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Favorite Answer

That type of bike might work well for you if your commute is short, but that particular bike is a poor quality machine that would be heavy to pedal and not much fun to ride. Touring bikes have a more upright position than a lightweight road bike, while retaining the drop bars that give you a more efficient position for the times you might be riding into the wind. A very upright position can also be hard on your back, every time you hit a bump, the shock goes straight up your spine, whereas if you are leaning forward a bit, your weight is partly on your hands, and also your feet. your center of gravity will be over the pedals, making it easier to exert force on the pedals. A well fitted touring bike is designed for people who spend long hours in the saddle, they have to be comfortable.

Road bikes are much more efficient. That's it. The frame and forks are lighter, pretty much every component is lighter, they have thin (usually treadless) tyres which are run at a much higher pressure, they're more aerodynamic (frame shape and the riding position) and have a gear ratios more suited to speed rather than mountain biking over tricky terrain. All of these factors add up to the rider being able to use his/her energy much more efficiently, meaning they can go faster/further. If you don't want a road bike, to get an advantage, I'd suggest getting some slick 26" tyres and some clipless pedals. edit - LayerWAN - Road bikes can have up to 30 gears...Hell Campag are bringing out 11 speed soon, meaning you could have up to 33 gears!

That bike is overpriced for what it is. Look around for another commuter bike or a hybrid. Most hybrid bikes will have bosses to mount fenders and racks. Forge has some M street bikes that will fit the bill if you are the right size and they are only $ 230. I bought a Forge Saranac last year and it's a shop quality bike. All of their bikes have a very good rating.

http://www.forgebikes.com/road.asp

I won't bother to write a long response, since mtlbiker stated most of what I would have otherwise written. I echo his response.

Two additional points, though, in reference to your back issue. First, purchasing a used bike will greatly reduce the chance that you'll get a bike that fits you properly, and an improper fit will aggravate your back.

Second, reconsider your present thoughts about a messenger bag. Unless you're a bike messenger who's constantly on and off the bike, a rear rack with a pannier or trunk bag would be a much better alternative. Let the bike, not your back, carry the extra burden.

mountain bike with riser hdlbar and 21 deg stem will put you in a upright position. you can change the tires on mtn bike to dual tread or semi slicks, slick road tires. ask sales person at bike shop if frame has gussets for attaching pannier rack as you may want to add one on later after you've been riding a while. touring and road bikes will have you in a forward position not the best if you have back issues.

Ten speeds went out in the 70's or so. I think that bike was sold in Sears stores many years ago. I wouldn't pay $25 for it.You'll probably be better off with a hybrid with 700c commute tires.Road bikes are built for speed, not comfort.

STAY AWAY from Walmart, K-Mart, Target, ect. Their bikes are junk.

If you are looking for comfort then a cruiser would definently be a good choice. Some mountain bikes almost have a stretched out feeling to them so that probably wouldn't be the best choice for commuting.