How Far apart for Rafters (Patio)?

I am building a 12x17 patio cover which I am going to run right off the flat roof. I'm going to use 3 4x4 supports which will be bricked to the top. I plan on using 2x6 rafters. How far apart do I need to space them? I'm going to put recessed lights and a ceiling fan in and use a hardi soffett.

Thanks for the help.

No snow, live in Houston

Favorite Answer

Edit: I gave spec's on local condition that were incorrect

for the Houston area, after doing a search I found these spec's for the conditions of the Houston area.

>>As far as roof and ceiling framing is concerned, I tend toward a "standard" 24 inch spacing for the rafters and joists, use No. 3 SYP is possible and choose depths accordingly. Contrary to what some here have opined regarding "wind uplift," when you are doing a home in the Houston metro area, a rural location here gives you AT LEAST 110 MPH (3-second gust) and Exposure "C", which can really kick the h*ll out of a rafter with a long span, so the depth becomes an issue. I tend to like 8' nominal myself.

Anyway, just had an architect send back my plans, with the comment that "you've got 24 inch spacing, we always use >>>16 inch<<<" and "why are you using 8 inch deep rafters? 6 inch should always be 'good enough.'" That was the essence of his complaints<<

• DIYpro

I'm a big fan of 16" minimum or 24" maximum. But what you really have to consider first is what your local building code calls for. Are you pulling a permit? You might have to if you want to revise your homeowners insurance to reflect the improvement and equity.

• bond

I assume your 2x6 rafters will span the 12ft not the 17ft. Spacing really depends on if you need to carry a snow load. If there is no snow, you could go with 24" or even 32" spacing. If you will have snow on it, keep down to 16" or even 12" spacing.

• ?

Your best answer will be found in the local building code. The inspectors are usually happy to help. Probably 24" max, you can always make them closer if you wish, but the max cannot exceed what is stated in the code. Also, the closer they are, the thinner sheeting you can use.

"William B , maint man, has shown that he has absolutely zero expertise in structural engineering and / or many other subjects for which he provides answers. Please select a "Best Answer" from the answers provided and please do not allow it to go to public voting. It would be my intent to delete this answer in three days if you have not made a selection. Thank you for your consideration." AMEN!

if your town does not have a building code they follow or enforce than you have to do a load calculation and that will determine what size, material to be used and how to fasten them all together.

kai

16" on center is the standard. you can go 20" but if your in a snow belt area stick with the 16" you wont have any problems.