Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

What stage of leukemia could she be in?

All I know is that just recently, one of my family friends went to the hospital, and has already lost 20lbs. She's in her early twenties, say 21 or 22. The last time I saw her was just a month ago, and she looked fine, healthy and all.

Can anyone pull from this small amount of information, what type/stage of leukemia she has/is in?

Favorite Answer

Unlike other cancers, leukemia isn't really staged. Based on the fact that she's young you think her symptoms seem to be onset fairly quickly, I would guess she has either AML or ALL. ALL is the most common type of leukemia in young people and it's the most common cancer overall for children.

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available. Chemotherapy is necessary in all acute leukemias but a bone marrow transplant (BMT) is not always necessary. A BMT is still technically considered an experimental procedure but can be recommended for patients especially if remission was not achieved in the first induction round, if he or she has had a previous cancer, or if the patient is at high risk of relapse. A BMT is coupled with very high doses of chemotherapy to kill off the vast majority of the patient's "bad" bone marrow so that the donor marrow has a chance to graft and take over once transplanted.

I hope this helped you out some. I hope nothing but the best for your friend. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli