why is there additives in water?

why is chlorine, fluorine, lime and ammonia added to Sydney's drinking water

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Let us clear up the situation with chlorine and ammonia. These are added to drinking water because they react to form a compound called chloramine NH2Cl

NH2Cl is prepared by the chemical reaction between ammonia and hypochlorous acid[2] under mildly alkaline conditions:

NH3 + HOCl → NH2Cl + H2O

Why is this done instead of using chlorine by itself?

NH2Cl is commonly used in low concentrations as a disinfectant in municipal water systems as an alternative to chlorination. This application is increasing. Chlorine (sometimes referred to as free chlorine) is being displaced by chloramine, which is much more stable and does not dissipate from the water before it reaches consumers. NH2Cl also has a lower, however still present, tendency to convert organic materials into chlorocarbons such as chloroform and carbon tetrachloride. Such compounds have been identified as carcinogens and in 1979 the United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ began regulating their levels in U.S. drinking water. Furthermore, water treated with chloramine lacks the distinct chlorine odour of the gaseous treatment and so has improved taste.

So the chlorine/ammonia is an important development from free chlorination.

Fluorine is added as a health measure because it is beneficial to prevent tooth decay

Lime is usually added in combination with aluminium sulphate as a flocculant . This flocculates and concentrates for easy settling and removal of suspended matter in the water.

• 1 decade ago

Chlorine kills germs and keeps the water clean.

A bit of fluorine is added into the water to help protect your teeth so that its strong.

Ammonia is a base, so it neutralises the water a bit. Lime is added to prevent corrosion.

• 1 decade ago

Lancenigo di Villorba (TV), Italy

As you noted, I live in Europe.

My territories include many mountains and rivers, so MANKIND AFFECT DRINKING WATER BY BACTERIA CONTROLs, no more.

THIS IS TRUE RIVERS MOVING DOWN FROM MOUNTAIN-MOTHERs GIVING OFF ITS MINERALs.

European waters are already mineral ones.

Speaking about your case, SIDNEY SHOULD BE A COAST CITY SO ITS WATERs MAY RESULT VERY POOR ONEs.

Your Water District may need to add some minerals, e.g. Sodium Fluoride, Calcium Chloride....I HAVE SERIOUS DOUBT IT PLAY ABOUT AMMONIA.

AMMONIA AND DERIVATIVEs SHOULDN'T BE PRESENT IN DRINKING WATERs, DO YOU KNOW?

Good night.

• 1 decade ago

My Dear Friend,

Each additive has different role when added to plain water.e.g.chlorine

as an antibacterial agent to remove harmful bacterias for human health,

florine as a useful mineral for teeth...........

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Kills germs and makes the water safe to drink.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.