Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Do you think this LA Times article was a solid counterargument against Charlotte Allen's Anti-Atheist tirade?

Okay, as many of you already know, I posted a question on this lady named Charlotte Allen who wrote an LA Times editorial that was very anti-atheist:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjaHX...

Now, a biology professor wrote a counterargument in the same paper. Here it is:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-o...

What do you think of his article? :)

Favorite Answer

The rebuttal is great--thanks for sharing. :)

• Grace

The irony is "just whining." She's bitching about how whiny atheists are, by whining! I like her arguments for atheists being atheists though. First paragraph. "What, did their sunday school teachers paddle them with a bible or something?" --The bad experience fallacy. Considering that atheists are the least trusted minority group in the United States, I would consider that evidence for victimization. I can guarantee every atheist here, U.S. or not, has stories about being victimized for being a non-believer. I know I do, and I know I'm not the only one. This quote is a beauty "And then there's the question of why atheists are so intent on trying to prove that God not only doesn't exist but is evil to boot. Dawkins, writing in "The God Delusion," accuses the deity of being a "petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak" as well as a "misogynistic, homophobic, racist ... bully." If there is no God -- and you'd be way beyond stupid to think differently -- why does it matter whether he's good or evil?" --God is evil. Satan is the good guy in the story, standing up to tyranny and unjust behavior. As for her comment about being atheist is being stupid. **** her. There's a reason 93% of scientists are atheist\agnostic. I've never heard anyone claim being poor is unjust. The suffering of the world doesn't stem from being poor. It stems from greed. This woman is biggoted idiot worthy of being smeared with fecal matter (Bible style). --She makes another comment about a bad religious experience near the end. This woman is fairly ignorant. That was an amusing read. The woman is an idiot.

I love how the lady, instead of addressing any religious arguments, goes straight for the ad hominem and disagrees with atheist's personalities. She doesn't admit to being a believer one time in the article: a likely attempt to seem objective, but she wrote a book called "The Human Christ: The Search for the Historical Jesus". Please. P.Z. Myers annihilated her and sounded 100% more sane to boot.

What a difference in tone in his reply. Her incoherent, emotional tirade is so painful to read. PZ Meyers is much more eloquent and he made a valid counterargument to her rant. If anything he just lifted atheists up even more, taking the high road and making her look foolish while doing it.

i like his article, but i liked the other article that was written that noted if anyone had said/written the same thing about any other group of people (Jews, for instance) and used the same vitriol and slander towards them as Charlotte Allen did towards atheists, they wouldn't have been published. and if someone had published an article like that (aimed at any other group), they would have been publicly attacked for slander, bigotry and discrimination...and rightfully so.

it gets tiring being the last group in america that is "OK" to pick to pieces and slander. glad somebody stood up and said "enough".

At the risk of sounding biased, I do find that his argument was quite good. And honorable, considering the time and effort he took to counter what was basically two sentences stretched into an entire essay: "atheists are boring", and "atheists play victim".

I think the good professor did a rather excellent job in countering Ms. Allen's rather whiny, mean hearted and somewhat childish little diatribe.

• Anna

That is the shittiest article I've ever read.

It was just confirmed when she was like "oh, you're boring".

Way to be stereotypical. And I would bet that she hasn't even read the books she mentions, or if she has, she didn't understand them.

And that rebuttal is very pwning, haha.

Very solid. I've seen this guy's blog many times, because one of my contacts on Multiply is a fan of his. He is rational and articulate. He also has a good sense of humor that does not go too far.

Wow... arrogance has a new name. Does he even know how many scientists are professed Christians and Creationists? It is a very long list and impressive at that. Sadly the real angst here is the professor hasn't been invited to the prom...yet...but he doesn't know that.

I once was an atheist but now i am found...Was blind but now I see...

I love William Murray...he is totally cool.

Source(s): www.answersingenesis.org

Awesome article.

Direct without being fanatical.

Ms Allen could learn a thing or two from this.