If the Christian Church were to return to it's purpose and mission established by the early church fathers,?

and were people to stop tithing *to* their church directly, but instead give to local shelters, the homeless and any of a thousand other charities, how do you think that would that affect the religion of Christianity in general? What do you think pastors and priests would do and / or how would they change?... show more and were people to stop tithing *to* their church directly, but instead give to local shelters, the homeless and any of a thousand other charities, how do you think that would that affect the religion of Christianity in general?

What do you think pastors and priests would do and / or how would they change?

Do you think the religion would change in general?
do you think there would be a chance that denominational divides could be overcome.

Please be respectful in your answers. I am genuinely interested in thoughtful answers. Thank you
Update: chris: I know what the purpose of the church is and I'm quite familiar with Acts thank you. You haven't read and answered the question. I would suggest you thoughtfully consider what I've asked if you don't mind.
Update 2: O my... all of a sudden I'm a Christian basher. If you knew who you were talking to you might be surprised. :)
Update 3: this is getting unreal. People! I know very well that we are to worship in corporate AND that we are to support the church. I am asking a simple question. How would we as the church be affected (including preachers and priests) if tithing were to be used to support the poor and needy - to feed the hungry, clothe... show more this is getting unreal.

People! I know very well that we are to worship in corporate AND that we are to support the church. I am asking a simple question. How would we as the church be affected (including preachers and priests) if tithing were to be used to support the poor and needy - to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, save the unsaved and love the unloved.
Update 4: instead of supporting the church building etc.

it has nothing to do with questioning peoples generosity... where do you get that from?
Update 5: (((searcher))) the idea of any church should be church planting first and foremost. Shouldn't that mean that as the home church grows, they split off to other homes? yes pastors and priests go to seminary. A good thing. Shouldn't they be responsible to pay their loans on their own just as any person... show more (((searcher)))
the idea of any church should be church planting first and foremost. Shouldn't that mean that as the home church grows, they split off to other homes?

yes pastors and priests go to seminary. A good thing. Shouldn't they be responsible to pay their loans on their own just as any person who trains to be a doctor but works in the mission field pays for their student loans?
Update 6: 5 of you gave very interesting answers. And all 5 responded with one or two aspects of the idea that I had rolling around. for the rest of you, although I can't imagine how as Christians you could have misunderstood the intent of this question, For my weak expression of it, I apologize and pray you will... show more 5 of you gave very interesting answers. And all 5 responded with one or two aspects of the idea that I had rolling around.

for the rest of you, although I can't imagine how as Christians you could have misunderstood the intent of this question, For my weak expression of it, I apologize and pray you will forgive me.