Why don't some horses go when asked? *First Horse*?

Hi!

I am currently looking to buy my first horse. Yay!

Today I looked at a horse, but when I rode, my instructor gave me spurs after seeing that the horses wouldn't go when I squeezed with my heel. I softened the reins and gave a small nudge then a big one, but it wouldn't go...(just like the school horses I ride). This brought me to wonder,

why do some horses go with the tinniest signal while other horses need spurs or a crop? Is it laziness?

This horse is a great horse, is brave and friendly. Once you get him going, he is a dream! He'll jump to the moon! Now, my next question is, if I buy this well-schooled horse,

will I ever be able to ride without spurs? Will he learn to respond better? or do I have to wear small spurs every time? Will he get better over time or with training?

How can I get the horse more responsive?

I want to know this because I personally dislike riding with a spur or crop. FYI, I didn't mention crop because he is a little afraid of them.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Some horses don't like having new riders on them. A lot of horses, when having a new rider on them, will test them and see what they can get away with with you riding them. You just have to keep working with him and show him who's boss and never let him win!

If you do buy him, yes you will most likely be able to ride with out spurs. Once he realizes that you are a good rider and when he calms down, he will be a much better horse for you to ride.

Source(s): :) :) :) Have Ridden Horses My Whole Life.
  • Azeri

It's a matter of experience on the part of the rider. Some horses are particularly forward by nature, and are more than willing to move with or without leg, and they aren't necessarily the best horses for someone starting out. Other horses are a little sluggish (aka, lazy) by nature, and others have learned to ignore leg aids by having been ridden by riders who weren't using the leg aid correctly (such as people just learning to ride, or just not-very-good riders!). All horses can be taught or retaught to move off the leg, but some horses will always be better when the rider wears spurs, or carries a whip, so that on the occasion the horse chooses to ignore the leg, the reinforcement is there to be used by the rider. Just because you wear spurs or carry a whip does not mean you have to use them. BTW, you ought not wear spurs until you are a bit more advanced in your riding ability.

Edit: someone recently asked about getting her horse to move off her leg, so there are probably a lot of relevant answers there.

Riding with spurs or crop is the sign of a bad rider or a bad horse. Who you are buying the horse from should train this horse or don't buy it. Or offer a real low price for a poorly trained horse.

You may have to put the horse through training if he dose not know the signals. If he does know than the horse is just resisting to prove he is your superior and does not respect you. He may also know if he does not move he does not have to work. This is the way horses think. What is fun for you is work for the horse. The cowboys have a term for this it is called kidised. Horses know that they can get away with not doing whats required when a young person gets on them. Again it is a matter of respect and training. In a few cases horses some horses never do get better. If above fails find another horse.

Source(s): I'm a small rancher horse breeder/trainer.

you can get the horse more responsive if you work with him, i got my first horse for christmas and he was so lazy you could smack him with the whip and he'd just stand there (not that i smack him) but now all i have to do is point and he'll go. he also would be in the back for trail rides always lugging behind, but after i worked him a couple months in the arena he moves out and walks faster than the leader. i used clinton anderson by the way.

and the rule my instructor taught me which works very well and is what i did is

ask, tell, demand

so say you are trying to get the horse to trot from the walk

you ASK by kicking him with both feet

you TELL by kicking him with both feet and a cluck

you DEMAND by whacking him with the crop and kicking

works very well:)

also when they listen after going for a half circle give them a rest and stop so they know when the listen they get a break sooner

• piner

on the grounds that it relatively is your first time procuring a horse, you are able to prefer somebody extra matured in finding out to purchase horses to circulate with you. i might take somebody who a) has offered a horse and been pleased with the acquisition, b) is generally used with your journey point and c) is generally used with what form of horse you're searching for. a great form of circumstances new horse consumers have a tendency to purchase with their coronary heart and not thier ideas, so which you pick somebody who will inform you the pony isn't a solid extra healthful for you despite in case you have those little hearts popping out of your eyes. As for what to ask the owner, listed under are some issues I continuously prefer to be attentive to a pair of horse earlier I even decide to circulate look. What preparation has the pony had, if it relatively is for a instruct prospect, has the pony ever been shown. Get prevalent descriptions with regard to the pony's temperment. what's the vet historic previous on the pony, does the pony stand willingly for the farrier, are there any trailering subject concerns? Why are they merchandising the pony? you are able to generally tell via the wording and the dimensions of the reaction in the event that they are being honest and in the event that they actually like the pony. If in any respect conceivable, request a video or %. of the pony. in no way go look at a horse with the objective to purchase that day. in no way take a trailer with you to look on the pony the two, this purely supplies the broking the opinion you have already made up your ideas and that they are going to be much less prepared to barter the acquisition cost. the main element is to make specific you preserve your objectives in sight whilst searching for a horse and be careful to fall in love with the 1st horse you look at. solid luck and chuffed horse looking. additionally, have the owner journey the pony first, in the event that they are unwilling or skeptical, do no longer walk away, run, they are truthfully hiding something. additionally observe if the pony has been labored earlier you arrive and if the pony is already tacked up, could point out a project, except they are completely up front with you.

Some horses are just more forward than others. Just like some people are more repsonsive and others are not. The best way to correct this is to do some experimenting... see what works for your horse. Another thing might just be that your horse doesn't know you. My old horse knew that when I got on him, I meant business, but whenever others would get on... he would test them to see what he could get away with. With time, if you are constent in your training then he will eventually come around.

On the other hand... it could be a medical or fitness issue. Make sure that you aren't overworking your horse for his age and fitness level and that he has a vet check before you buy him.

In most situations, the horse is eaither trying to figure out what you want or is seeing what it can get away with. Often when a horse doesn't know its rider very well they will try to get away with as little work as possible. Spurs shouldn't be used to make a horse go, why don't you try reading into the use of a half halt, it's always work for me.

Clue #1: You don't ASK. You TELL.

Clue #2: If you ask and the anser is "no," you immediately reinforce the aid as strongly as you need to in order to turn the "No" into "Yes."

The reason most lesson horses aren't responsive is only partly laziness. Lesson horses aren't dumb, and they learn very quickly when the rider is timid or tender-hearted and is asking them to do something, not telling them to do something. So they ignore your timid little squeezes and nudges and just take it easy, because nudges and squeezes don't bother them in the least and as long as they ignore you, they don't have to work as hard.

If you gave the forward aids to a lesson horse, and then when he failed to respond immediately reinforced the aids with a good hard whack (not a timid little lovetap) with the crop behind your leg, I guarantee you that you will turn the "no" into a "YES MA'AM! RIGHT AWAY!"

And since lesson horses aren't stupid, as soon as your horse realizes that every time he tells you "no" when you ask him to do something, he's going to pay for it, he will stop saying "no."

That's why lesson horses rarely misbehave whent the trainer has you get down and he/she gets up. They realize that someone who knows what they are doing and means business, who gives ORDERS, not SUGGESTIONS, is now aboard. Yes ma'am! Right away!

You don't need a crop or spurs. He's probably mad about the spurs, too. You must school him over and over again to respond to your leg. Build up your leg muscles with practicing using your leg on him. Ask him to go with your leg, if he doesn't go immediately tap him on the rear with a crop and use your leg again. Keep doing that and when he goes with just your leg reward him by a "good boy" and a rub on the neck. Keep practicing and you won't need to tap him with crop anymore. You just need to work more with him. Oh, and the bitless bridle solves many problems. I use it and trained my own horse. Go to www.bitlessbridle.com

Source(s): John Lyons tapes, lots of reading and good instructors and most of all dedication to training and practicing. www.bitlessbridle.com

it may be deadsidedness or it may be laziness or it may be ignorance.

riding with spurs isnt that bad, its a great way to teach you to use your leg right. =]

To get it more responsive, its circle, circle, circle, bend, flex, just work that involves legs (eg. Spirals!)

Dead sided horses can be helped by not kicking the horse and letting it soften itself. deadsidedness is created when they get mindlessly kicked all the time (many lesson horses are dead sided) or when they get away with ignoring leg.

frustrating hey?