Does it cost less to live in Stockholm, Sweden?

My best friend is from Stockholm, Sweden, and she really wants me to go back with her at the end of the year. Would it be cheaper to stay in the US, or would it be cheaper to move? Also, are there any English colleges in Stockholm? I hope that I will eventually study there. Thank you all for any information you can give me!

• Elise
    Favorite Answer

Stockholm is very expensive compared to the US, and a move definitely would not be cheap.

There are no undergraduate (Bachelor's) programs in English in Stockholm, and only a couple elsewhere in the country. You pretty much need to speak fluent Swedish to go to university there and pass a language test called TISUS. It can take a year or two of full-time study to become fluent enough. You can't move to Sweden to study Swedish though.

If you already have a Bachelor's, there are Master's programs in English. You have to show you have the funds to cover living costs (about $10000 a year) before you can get a study permit. Starting in 2011, universities are planning to start charging tuition for non-EU students, which means another $10000 or so a year (unless you start your studies before then, current students are excluded).

The only other way you could move is on a work visa (very difficult to get unless you have a lot of education/experience and speak Swedish) or a relationship visa. Marriage isn't required, but you have to be in a long-term relationship with a Swedish citizen and plan to live with them in Sweden.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I moved to Sweden from the US (relationship visa) and it was fairly difficult the first couple of years. I was financially dependent on my partner, couldn't find work without speaking Swedish (and even when I spoke Swedish, it took awhile), and it took a couple of years to become eligible for studying at university. You can visit for 3 months, or do a university exchange for a year sometime in the future. But an actual move would be really expensive.

It is easy to get around in Sweden since most people speak some English, but it is pricey beyond what you can guess. If you go out for even a simple dinner at a local bar you can expect to pay $8-$12 per beer and about $5 for a small slice of pizza. I was there in 1992 and a can of tomato soup was $3. Food is VERY expensive there.

But you should at least visit since Stockholm is a very pretty city. You can usually get there with a connecting flight in Germany.

it truly is abut £2600 per 30 days and could probable pass approximately so a approaches as £2600 will take you in London. i'm uncertain what the ideal point of taxation is presently even though it could be much less now that they have a conservative government.