Why is everyone against WalMart Bicycles?

I'm not a avid bike rider, I'm not intense, I don't go off-road onto trails. I simply ride on the sidewalks and streets to cruise around town. I have been to the local bike shops and WalMart and the local bike shop's similar bikes are twice the price. I don't plan on having the bike for 10... show more I'm not a avid bike rider, I'm not intense, I don't go off-road onto trails. I simply ride on the sidewalks and streets to cruise around town. I have been to the local bike shops and WalMart and the local bike shop's similar bikes are twice the price. I don't plan on having the bike for 10 years.

what is wrong with WalMart bikes? will it be that big of a deal to just buy cheap?
Update: UPDATE: Thanks to all the great answers I've received! I decided to go with a LBS instead and bought a new bike car rack and beautiful Globe comfort bike. It was a little spendy, but I already think worth it! I put 30 miles on it today. Thanks again everybody!