? asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

the meaning of the word parody?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

a mocking imitation of the style of a literary work or works, ridiculing the stylistic habits of an author or school by exaggerated mimicry. Parody is related to burlesque in its application of serious styles to ridiculous subjects, to satire in its punishment of eccentricities, and even to criticism in its analysis of style. The Greek dramatist Aristophanes parodied the styles of Aeschylus and Euripides in The Frogs (405 BCE), while Cervantes parodied chivalric romances in Don Quixote (1605). In English, two of the leading parodists are Henry Fielding and James Joyce. Poets in the 19th century, especially William Wordsworth and Robert Browning, suffered numerous parodies of their works.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: parody

In literature, a work in which the style of an author is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule. Differing from both burlesque (by the depth of its technical penetration) and travesty (which treats dignified subjects in a trivial manner), parody mercilessly exposes the tricks of manner and thought of its victim and therefore cannot be written without a thorough appreciation of the work it ridicules. Examples date from as early as ancient Greece and occur in nearly all literatures and all periods.

more........

http://www.answers.com/topic/parody

http://www.babylon.com/define/40/online-english-di...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A parody is a humorous imitation. Like when someone on Saturday Night Live impersonates a famous person in a sketch, that's parody.

South Park and Family Guy aren't parodies unless you see them as imitating other kinds of shows. Colbert is parody because he pretends to be a right-wing talk show host. In fact Colbert himself has said it's a parody of Bill O'Reilly.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

something made to like make fun of another thing. Like Thew Colbert Report, South Park and Family Guy are parodies.

• 1 decade ago

You take a well-known set of circumstances. They may be historical or a familiar work of literature or drama. You use the same set of circumstances, but you tweak the language and the attitude of the players to give a completely different slant to the same story. This may done for comedic or political purposes. The best examples I can think of are the works of Monty Python - particularly "The Life of Brian." It was undoubtedly blasphemous, but I laughed so hard that I thought that I was going to die.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.