Scion vs. everything under 25k?

So I'm going to be getting a new car in the next half a year or so. I'm looking at the Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt SS, Volkswagen GTI, Honda Civic Si, Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V, and the Scion tc. I know the scion isn't in the same class as the other performance wise but I really like it looks wise and I would be willing to mod it. I'd probably be willing to spend more money overall on the scion to make it faster I just don't know if it's worth it and want some advice from some people who had experience tuning cars. Thanks in advance for the help!

Favorite Answer

Although the TRD parts are pricey, there are no limits to aftermarket parts available at reasonable prices. Cars are cars and can be modded to wherever the driver wants. My opinion is always to narrow cars by the style (body style, performance level, price) then to look at one you could drive everyday with happiness. If you think the tC is hot, get it. If you fancy the Civic Si, get that.

There are almost no limits to modding tuners today. I have a Scion and love it.

I had a Scion tc SC and traded it for a Cobalt SS/TC. So here is a pro and con of them.

Scion tC

- Pros: looks nice inside and out, hatchback provides a huge opening to get things into the car, lots of TRD aftermarket choices

- Cons: TRD parts are very expensive, supercharger is unreliable at best (I broke 2 of them in about 40k miles), seats stain white when they get wet, rattles everywhere, floor mats wore through, carpet wore through.

Cobalt SS

- Pros: much faster than the Scion, handles much better than the Scion, gets much better mileage than the Scion, reliable, bigger trunk.

- Cons: interior is cheaper looking, smaller trunk opening making it hard to get large things into the car.

I thought about the Mazdaspeed 3 but they don't make a coupe or even a sedan version and I didn't want a wagon. I had a Mazda way back in college and it was a great car.

If I was choosing a car today I'd look at the Cobalt SS and the Mazdaspeed 3. They are far above the rest as far as performance which is the whole point in these cars.

you should also look at the hyundai genesis coupe. it gets 30 mpg city, can use either regular or premium, and if you wait for the r-spec version to come out you'll get a much better deal.

but if that isn't what you're looking for, i'd say go for the speed 3, since it's turbo'd and a fun car to drive. same goes for the cobalt. but i'd recommend not getting a volkswagen, they are very overpriced and have electrical problems which are usually the most expensive repairs.

Honestly Scions are seen more as a car you just accessorize. For for $25k and under you can get yourself a used S2000 or 350z and still have enough left over to mod the hell out of them. My preference is the S2000 but its all up to you.