Tennille asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Losing a Few Pounds...How?

I am a 23 year old woman who weighs about 145. I am well within the normal limits for my BMI, however, I would like to lose a few pounds, just to be able to fit into some of my other jeans (I wear size 6 and some are getting tight). Currently, I keep my calories to about 1500-1700 a day, I do aerobic workouts 3x a week (20 min each) and treadmill walking for 20 minutes 2x a week. I don't exercise on weekends to give my body a break. I have been doing this for over a month now and have yet to lose ANY weight. I generally get 7-8 hours of sleep per night, and although I have a busy schedule (school and 2 jobs), I always find time to relax a little bit each day. What am I doing wrong and how can I drop a few pounds?

• Mark H
    Best Answer

cut down on your calories a bit.

Your exercise is not enough. I know we hear a lot of talk about how keeping the heart rate up for 20 minutes is good, but that information is directed at older people, not you or I. They're talking about heart health, not weight management or weight loss. There's no surprise that you haven't lost any weight.

The kind of cardio you need, be it treadmill or aerobics is 45 minutes non-stop (at least), 3 - 4 times a week. Shoot for a heart rate of 140ish.

Remember, it's not just how many calories you eat, it's what kind of calories you eat. Stay off the dairy and the grains (use potatoes for carbohydrates). Please don't listen to the people here telling you to cut calories, your number of calories is fine. Go for foods that are high in mono- and polyunsaturated fats (avocados, almonds, olive oil, dark chocolate).

• ?

If you keep with the same caloric intake everyday like you have been, your body gets used to having that much.

Drink a lot of water (gallon plus a day but make sure you replenish electrolytes too), 25-30g of fiber per day, work out 3x's a week.

Try to get your average for the week to somewhere between 1500 to 1700.

One day get 2000+ and then the next 1000. If you spread out your calories with lots of little meals throughout the day, you should be good.

Instead of doing those 2 days of walking on the treadmill, replace them with one day of abs and the other day dedicated to stretching and maybe walking the 20 minutes.

Source(s): I get people into shape. :)

Everything you're doing sounds good...the only thing I can think of that you haven't mentioned is your water intake.

Drinking enough water makes a positive difference to your weight loss plan. 8 glasses per day is good going. It's also very good for your skin and against cellulite.

I did the same as you, and kept to a calorie deficit and exercised, but it wasn't til I necked back some good old H2O before I saw a drop in the number on the scale.

Good luck - I hope this helps. It certainly can't hurt. :)

When you say you are well within BMI I am assuming you are 5'6 or 5'7. If that is the case used a metabolic tool to figure out you should only be consuming 1400-1460 a day to lose 1 pound a week. Also your body is now used to that light exercise you are doing try to change it up a bit. I have a hella busy schedule too but am losing weight. You can do it!!!! If you are trying to be more toned you need to ensure you are doing some light weights or resistance band training.

I think that would be treading on dangerous ground. Our brain cells are surely capable of so many more functions than we can even imagine. We've probably lost a lot of our natural powers and instincts along the way and we don't yet know how to develop the faculties that we do have. So to arbitrarily get rid of any brain cells would be lose that potential. I'm not willing to part with any of my little grey cells without a struggle. I feel I need all the brain cells I can muster ... and would actually be glad of some more.

less calories. more exercise. You need to push your body to it's limits. Running for 30 minutes to an hour a day will get your body going and you'll lose weight. Running is the best for weight loss. To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in. So eat less too. But stay healthy!

I have been on a diet in the past 3 months in which I have lost 30 lbs!

I did it by using portion control, I know, I didn't think it would work either but it did!

By using portion control on a 1500 calorie diet, I was able to do this and I think it would be a good idea for you too!

• It sounds like you have plateaued. Try kicking it up a notch. Keep your calories between 1100-1500 and drink only water. Increase the intensity of your aerobics, maybe put some ankle weights on or dumbbells in your hands. On top top of that take a supplement like Hydroxycut, but only on the days you work out.

Sometimes, your body decides how much it wants to weight without consulting you. But, try to change half of your treadmill walking time into jogging time and drink a couple liters of water a day.

Be Happy.

Be Healthy.

Good Luck.

I think your body's just gotten used to your workout regimen. Try to mix it up a little bit and definitely don't just stick to cardio. Do some weights, too. That'll increase your standing calorie burning rate. Build muscle and it'll help you burn more calories. And being toned is a good outcome, too.