Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why doesn't the Jewish faith recognise Jesus Christ as the Messiah?

Firstly, let me say that I am not a Jew, nor a Christian. I am asking this question without bias and purely out of curiosity.

I believe I am right when I say that the Jewish prophecies state a Messiah will one day come; some thought the Messiah was Jesus, and those that follow(ed) him we call 'Christian'.

However, the Jewish faith does not recognise Jesus as the Messiah. Why not? What part of the prophecies was he at odds with?

Any help welcome.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Plushy, I may be the poster you got that list from, and it is from a link I've given to this question the many hundreds of times I've answered it.

Here it is in full ( I don't think the whole page was able to fit under your answer)

http://www.messiahtruth.com/wanted.html

If one reads the job description as outlined in the Tanakh it's really clear that no one has yet met the criteria, and Jesus didn't fit any of them ...well...only one, he was a Jew.

I usually answer that he did not fit the job description God gave Israel. I also know that the very presence of missionaries and sales pitches to convince people that Jesus is the messiah, are a de-facto admission that he did not do the job!

When a ruler of Israel breaks the yolk of religious and political persecution first for Israel, then for all the world, when all people know and worship God and recognize one another as brothers and sisters in peace, then we will know the events have happened.

Worship of or through a Jew is definitely not a job description of the Davidic messiah. The prophetic vision is that all will worship God during his rule. The fact that a human is worshiped as a deity by millions of people in the world is also crystal clear evidence that the prophetic vision of the Torah has not happened. Torah declares in more than one place that God does not become a man and condemns the very notion of humans as deity ( a VERY widespread belief throughout ancient civilization) many other times. Jews do not believe God lied about that. ( To the claim that some Christians have tried to counter to that...that Jews " limit" God if we say he "can't" become a man...I say, no one has said God can or can't do anything..the fact is, either the prophetic vision of Tanakh is right and the statements that declare God does NOT do something are right or not. I choose to believe that God does not become a man as Torah states. You are free to worship a Jew as a deity if you wish)

You're free to believe it won't ever happen. It's not like Jews are in a state of suspended animation waiting for the messiah to arrive. Judaism is a fulfilling path of connection to God and fellow human through Tikkun Olam, (repair of the world) where we try to live our lives as an example of striving to righteousness. Jews also do not believe that one must be a Jew to know God, merit blessing, or achieve atonement, and we certainly would never look to a king to do that for us. God is not exclusive to the Jew, but Torah ( God's laws of the eternal covenant) demands that the Jew is exclusive to God.

There is a difference!

RW's answer I love...because it illustrates, just as the link that the prophetic vision of a Davidic messiah is just that, a JOB that has not yet been done.

http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/ is also a great place to help learn the differences between Judaism and the replacement theology of Christianity. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly believe that Christianity and Judaism are very much alike with the exception of Jews don't believe in Jesus or that he was a messiah and Christians do. The reality is that they are VASTLY different.

Judaism is not Christianity minus Jesus.

Judaism has no Devil, for instance. See both links and re-read RW, Mark S, Solly and plushy and I think you'll get the picture.

I don't see the Davidic messiah as a military leader, he will be a ruler who rules with great humility and brings peace to the whole world.

IMHO the very best way of all to understand how completely incompatible Judaism and Christianity are to one another is to read from Genesis forward in the Tanakh ...in context, without using either the Christian reordered and amended "Old Testament", and most especially without using any of their "New Testament" to give meaning to what you read. The Christian Bible redefines and attempts to replace Judaism with a doctrine that is incompatible to it.

See my profile page for my blog for more writings on Jewish belief.

EDIT: The Pharisees ( those who kept "separate" from Judaism idolatry and foreign influence) are demonized in the New Testament as hypocrites for whom ritual and custom are all important, yet their writings, legacy and lives were far, far different than depicted. When the Pharisees formed, it was Greek rule and deities being attempte to be intermingled with Torah to assimilate and obliterate the Jewish history and law and faith. For many Jews, the Hellenist philosophers were believed superior so they permitted foreign and pagan practices. Then under Roman rule, the already apostate Hellenized Jews and Romans who created a replacement theology demonized all believing Jews who refused to abandon God for worship of a man as deity..and this demonization continues to this day.

No messiah hopeful would be a threat to any Jews, and there were dozens of them under Roman rule. In fact, Simeon Bar Kochba more than a hundred years later had many more Jewish followers in his lifetime, but of course, no Jews worshipped him, either. And when he died without doing the job, he was abandoned in hopes to be the messiah.

It is believed that in every generation one is born who could fulfill the job.

I'm proud to be a Pharisee. Like them, I believe that all humans are equal before God. God is no respector of persons meaning..social status or wealth has no bearing on merit or righteousness. All humans ( Jew or Gentile ) may connect directly to God ( as in fact Gentiles DID at both first and second Temples, meaning that the Christian notion that before Jesus, Gentiles were not able to connect to God is foreign to and contradictory to Jewish belief).

Education is for all ( the Sadducees, the Roman collaborators did not believe this ) The Pharisees were also the sect that taught about the resurrection of the dead and that the rightous of all nations merit blessing ( as echoed by Jeremiah and Isaiah)

Source(s): http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/63255/... < The complete Jewish Bible (Tanakh)
  • The messianic prophecies were very clear.

Let's just consider the universal recognition of the messiah. Since Jesus was alleged to have been here, twice as many people globally reject Jesus as accept him.

Not enough? Global peace was to have been established, yet since Jesus' day, we've had opposite of this.

How about the prophecy that said the messiah would be human, not some man/god hybrid?

There are big lists of unfulfilled prophecies - you can look for them if you are genuinely curious.

Add to this the fact that there is NO corroborative evidence Jesus ever existed, let alone fulfilled even ONE prophecy, and it is pretty clear why there is disagreement. What is not clear is how anyone could buy it in the first place.

• 1 decade ago

I believe that Jewish prophecy requires the Messiah to come as a ruling king ... literally. The Jews were looking for a Messiah who would be more like the Jesus that Christians are expecting at the "second coming."

• 1 decade ago

Same reason that Sikhs, Hindus, Pagans, Jaines, Wiccans, Buddhists also don't recognise Jesus.

Will you also be asking members of those faiths why they don't worship Jesus?

No? You're only asking Jews? Thus the underlying premise of your post is that Jews 'should' worship Jesus - or else you'd be asking ALL faiths this same question.

Jesus didn't fulfill the Jewish description of maschiach, nor did he fulfill the 23 prophecies - so why WOULD we worship him?

edit to ANNA:

No dear, it's YOU that doesn't understand:

There IS no 'second coming' in JUDAISM.

It is a purely Christian concept.

Source(s): ****ANNA***** You actually have the arrogance to tell me that I, as a Jew, don't know what JUDAISM says about the maschiach??? Your arrogance is eclipsed only by your ignorance. There is no 'second coming' in JUDAISM. This is a simple statement of fact. You read the Tanakh in the original Hebrew, do you...? No? Thought not. We do. Don't tell ME that YOU know MY religion better than I do. You're making an utter fool of yourself ANNA.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Never mind the mistranslations of my Bible that attempt to point to Jesus. Judaism teaches that the messiah will fulfill the following prophecies--and Jesus did *none* of these:

* The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26)

* Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4)

* The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17)

* He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10)

* The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2)

* Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4)

* Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9)

* He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10)

* All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12)

* Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8)

* There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8)

* All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19)

* The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11)

* He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7)

* Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5)

* The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23)

* The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55)

* Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9)

* The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot

* He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9)

* Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33)

* He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4)

* He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9)

• 4 years ago

My guess, because he died before completing all of the requirements necessary to even be considered "The Messiah." Technically, he doesn't even qualify for little "m" messiah, much less the long awaited big "M" Messiah. One day, you'll look into Judaism, and you just might know the difference between the two. When you do, you'll understand.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Christians say that Jesus still has some work to do to fulfill prophecy, but that he will do it when he returns. The prophecies don't say that.

This has been asked and answered 100 times, and Mark S. (above) does a nice cut-and-paste job (thank you) in spelling it out in detail. There is an overwhelming list of prophecies he did not fulfill. To sum it up, the Jewish Messiah was to be a military leader.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here we go again!

He failed to fulfil prophecy.

Prophecies to Identify the Messiah, Which Jesus Does Not Fulfil:

1) Matthew 1:23 says that Jesus (the messiah) would be called Immanuel, which means "God with us." Yet no one, not even his parents, call him Immanuel at any point in the bible.

2) The Messiah must be a physical descendant of David (Romans 1:3 & Acts 2:30). Yet, how could Jesus meet this requirement since his genealogies in Matthew 1 and Luke 3 show he descended from David through Joseph, who was not his natural father because of the Virgin Birth. Hence, this prophecy could not have been fulfilled.

3) Isaiah 7:16 seems to say that before Jesus had reached the age of maturity, both of the Jewish countries would be destroyed. Yet there is no mention of this prophecy being fulfilled in the New Testament with the coming of Jesus, hence this is another Messiah prophecy not fulfilled.

Prophecies Christians Use to Verify Jesus as the Messiah, Yet Clearly Fail:

4) The gospels (especially Matthew 21:4 and John 12:14-15) claim that Jesus fulfils the prophecy of Zechariah 9:9. But the next few verses (Zechariah 9:10-13) show that the person referred to in this verse is a military king that would rule "from sea to sea". Since Jesus had neither an army nor a kingdom, he could not have fulfilled this prophecy.

5) Matthew (Matthew 2:17-18) quotes Jeremiah (Jeremiah 31:15), claiming that it was a prophecy of King Herod’s alleged slaughter of the children in and around Bethlehem after the birth of Jesus. But this passage refers to the Babylonian captivity, as is clear by reading the next two verses (Jeremiah 31:16-17), and, thus, has nothing to do with Herod’s massacre.

6) John 19:33 says that during Jesus’ crucifixion, the soldiers didn’t break his legs because he was already dead. Verse John 19:36 claims that this fulfilled a prophecy: "Not a bone of him shall be broken." But there is no such prophecy. It is sometimes said that the prophecy appears in Exodus 12:46, Numbers 9:12 & Psalm 34:20. This is not correct. Exodus 12:46 & Numbers 9:12 are not prophecies, they are commandments. The Israelites are told not to break the bones of the Passover lamb, and this is all it is about. And Psalm 34:20 seems to refer to righteous people in general (see verse Psalm 34:19, where a plural is used), not to make a prophecy about a specific person.

7) "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt." Hosea 11:1. Matthew (Matthew 2:15) claims that the flight of Jesus’ family to Egypt is a fulfilment of this verse. But Hosea 11:1 is not a prophecy at all. It is a reference to the Hebrew exodus from Egypt and has nothing to do with Jesus. Matthew tries to hide this fact by quoting only the last part of the verse ("Out of Egypt I have called my son").

8) "But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." Micah 5:2 The gospel of Matthew (Matthew 2:5-6) claims that Jesus’ birth in Bethlehem fulfils this prophecy. But this is unlikely for two reasons.

A) "Bethlehem Ephratah" in Micah 5:2 refers not to a town, but to a clan: the clan of Bethlehem, who was the son of Caleb’s second wife, Ephrathah (1 Chronicles 2:18, 2:50-52 & 4:4).

B) The prophecy (if that is what it is) does not refer to the Messiah, but rather to a military leader, as can be seen from Micah 5:6. This leader is supposed to defeat the Assyrians, which, of course, Jesus never did. It should also be noted that Matthew altered the text of Micah 5:2 by saying: "And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Judah" rather than "Bethlehem Ephratah" as is said in Micah 5:2. He did this, intentionally no doubt, to make this verse appear to refer to the town of Bethlehem rather than the family clan.

Source(s): Sorry once again for the copy and paste but 'The Church of Theists Suck' had already done such a fine job with this that there is no way I could improve on it.
  • 1 decade ago

The identity of Messiah is based on what he does, and since he has not come yet, it is impossible to say who he will be.

Tomorrow, Jesus Christ could stroll into Jerusalem and declare peace on earth and turn all the swords into ploughshares and all the spears into pruning forks, but until he does, he isnt the Messiah.

And thats before we get into the deep philosophy of what he actually said and the trinity and the abolition of the commandments

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because he wasn't the messiah.

if you call a plumber to fix your toilet, then a guy carrying electrical cables and wearing an electric workers union jacket shows up, has the plumber come to fix your toilet? nope. he wants to come install an electrical outlet for you. ...

when hes done the plumbing is still broken.

what it is that the Jewish messiah is, and what jesus are, are entirely different and barely even overlap at all.

he fulfilled nearly none of the prophecys.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.