promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Based on his overall greatness for years now. Why did the Nuggets choose to trade Chauncey Billups?

In the 1st place. I mean I know he was destined to be a journeymen because his overall greatness did not come into full fruition until his Detroit Pistons days, but if the Nuggets could have waited it out and stuck with the hometown product as the team's leader and team's best player it would not have taken 24 years to reach the W.C.F again.

I mean their has been some talent in Denver even in their dark pre-Melo days.

If you surrounded CB7 with Antonio McDyess back when he was an All-star it could have been a scary pair, or back when they had James Posey it could have been a defensive/clutch pair. Even when Melo was drafted maybe it would not have taken this long for Melo to play up to his potential and not have so many playoff shortcomings in the beginning of his career.

If he would have been paired with Melo earlier (if he was kept by Denver) and meshed in with Andre Miller. It could have been a very nice back court tandem, like that of what Jason Kidd and Steve Nash could have been if the Suns did not trade Steve Nash to Dallas a year after they drafted him. Also, with Nene, K.Mart, Camby, J.R. Smith, Linas Kleiza, and all the pretty good players Denver has had over the years plus under the leadership of Hall of Fame Coach George Karl, who is no stranger to Conference Finals they could have been this good even earlier.

Update:

Say what you want about Karl, but his Sonics team was the best team M.J. had to go through in the Finals and the Bulls almost lost. Some say that is the best team to make it to the NBA Finals and lose. He also took a very talented team in Milwaukee to the E.C.F and they were only 1 game away from an NBA Finals birth if it wasn't for Allen Iverson and his M.V.P play.

I think what Karl meant by that is that you have got to give credit to Melo for finally utilizing a player of CB7's caliber and playing like he always could. There is no doubts that the Nuggets are where they are because of CB7. He is their best player and team leader, but you have got to tip your hats off to Melo, J.R., K-Mart, Nene, Kleiza, Birdman, Carter, and Balkman.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Back then, Chauncey didn't understand how to run a team and didn't improve as fast as fans would've liked. As for Posey, he didn't have the niche for being a great defender when he was in Denver. He just started in the league coming from Xavier where he had to do everything. As for McDyess, he never worked out as a player you could build a team around. Either way it doesn't matter now. Denver's core group is young and only getting better with every game because of Billups's presence. If the Lakers don't come out with energy and effort, they will lose to the Nuggets.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The same could be said about Boston where he was originally drafted. The problem was that was the Rick P. era and that whole system didn't work in the pros...but they had the talent as well. As a player Billups was all potential until he received the coaching of Larry B. (known to develop point guards...ie AI). Since that time Billups has been the player and team leader that is getting him so much attention now. But it can be said he was always "on the trading block" until that point in his career and hadn't fully developed.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't really matter... if you ask that Hall of Fame coach of theirs, Billups gets too much credit and is overrated (some coach)... even though it is clear that Billups is the ENTIRE reason the Nuggets are where they are right now... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see it either.

Nuggets before Billups: never passed the first round and struggling to even get to the playoffs...

Nuggets with Billups: enter the playoffs as the no.2 seed and steam roll their way to the conference finals...

Hmmm... I wonder who is the difference maker? Was it Carmelo? Who was the feature player in all the unsuccessful Nuggets teams of the past 5 years? Or is it this new guy? Who has the Nuggets ranked second in the conference and in a 1-1 tie in the conference finals in his first year back in Denver?

George Karl is a moron!

ADD: Not to completely emasculate Karl... he has accomplished a lot in his career as a coach, but to take the wind out of Billups sail like that during the conference finals, shows he is getting delusional in his old age.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When Billups first came into the league everyone tried to make him into the prototypical point guard as opposed to just letting him play. (Its the same problem that Stephon Marbury went through with the Suns once D'Antoni got there and the Knicks, Troy Hudson went through it with Flip saunders) When he got to Detroit they did try to change his game or make him play in a bubble they just let him go out and put his mark on the game in his way and on his terms. Think about getting Isiah Thomas, Kevin Johnson, Tim Hardaway or even Mark Price and telling them don't score just run the team. Their careers would have turned out very differently. A Jason Kidd Steve Nash back court would not have worked. For one its too undersized and two Steve Nash would have had to be a primary wing scorer with his size and style of play you lose offensive versatility and have two guys who are primary ball handlers trying to play together in the same back court. Melo is the best player on the Nuggets team! Billups help put them over the top but Melo is without a doubt the best player on that team, its time that you guys start giving him credit and realizing that he is one of the top 5 players in the NBA.

Jump 20 inches higher in 10 weeks:

http://www.program51.com

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Interesting question. Really back then, nobody viewed Billups as a starter and a big-time player. They thought he was a disappointment. That's why Billups spent his early years going from one team to the other. He never had any directions. He didn't know how to play the point. In Minnesota, he learned from Terrence Brandon and Sam Mitchell how to lead a team and how to play the point guard position the right way. He just took off after that. People were starting to notice him.

I don't think Denver keeping Billups in his earlier years would have benefited him because he was lacking guidance. Him staying in Minnesota really benefited him. Now that he is with Denver in his second go-round, he's a much different player. It''s a blessing in disguse for Denver. They traded a young Billups back then and now they get back a much better player in Billups.

• 1 decade ago

They saw an unselfish good defensive player in chauncey,something AI was not. When AI was in Denver it was a 2 man team with him and melo and they had no defense. With Chauncey they got a guy who is unselfish and can make role players better. Denver on paper has alot of young potential on paper,and with an experienced leader in billups who is a great PG he can help unlock the potential of guys like Nene,Kleiza,Smith,Jones,etc. Honestly when the trade first happened i was perplexed why Denver did it cause AI had a much better market value than billups and antonio,i thought they shouldve gone for one more good player (like prince,wallace,rip,etc) cause AI was still playing great ball. I knew AI wouldnt fit in detroit but the leadership of chauncey stunned me and he has shown the league why he is one of the best pgs in the league.

• 1 decade ago

no way....Billups is the answer the nuggets have been looking for. I knew the minute that Iverson went to Denver that it was going to be downhill for them. and i knew that the minute Billups went to Denver they would be a team to make noise come playoff time...Billups is a true leaders..call it what you want, but sometimes a team needs "Role" players, and billups was the missing piece..he doesnt ball hog like other players do...he does what he is supposed to do..distributed and yet takes shots when he is supposed to. I dont think he is overrated at all....

• UCLA!
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

They could win an NBA championship and become a very tough rival for Lakers or Spurs in early 2000's

Maybe because they have Nick Van Exel at that time

EDIT: lol Karl is great coach

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

do u TRULY believe they would have had a high enough draft pick 2 draft Melo in 04 if they had Billups? get real man

Source(s): and y i feel u need 2 get real...pretty much because of ALL the points u jsut pointed out! LOL
  • 1 decade ago

Simple

1.Playoff experience

2.Tougher defense

3.Efficient in 3 point shots and inside lay ups

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.