Ignorance about extended breastfeeding?

Despite the wealth of information regarding the benefits of extended breastfeeding there are still a lot of mothers who think that breastfeeding an infant past the age of 6 months or 12 months is obscene. I regularly see comments on YA from mothers who believe they have to stop breastfeeding or believe that other... show more Despite the wealth of information regarding the benefits of extended breastfeeding there are still a lot of mothers who think that breastfeeding an infant past the age of 6 months or 12 months is obscene. I regularly see comments on YA from mothers who believe they have to stop breastfeeding or believe that other mothers should stop breastfeeding once a baby has teeth. A lot of mothers believe that breast milk has does not have any nutritional benefit for a baby, once it is past the age of 12 months or that once children can walk and "ask" for breast milk, the mother should stop.
There was a question asked the other day titled "how long will you be breastfeeding"? Those who breastfeed toddlers past the age of 12 months were given a lot of thumb downs. I find it odd that many people feel so strongly and are so disgusted by the thought of breastfeeding a toddler. I just wanted to share this video & wanted to know your opinions on it? Towards the end there is a bit about bottle feeding which I also agree with, although some mothers may disagree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdEN8nKWA...
Update: D*kat, I've been breastfeeding for 26 months. I'm still breastfeeding my 26 month old son. I don't find it stressful. As I only breastfeed him at home, it has NO impact on my social life and my sex life is fantastic. I'm also 12 weeks pregnant, so my life is pretty good at the moment....
Update 2: Hannah,
I agree with you. I don't like the term "extended" breastfeeding either.
Update 3: graham's mama,
You summed up my question really well, thank you.
Update 4: Mom of Ethan & Sophie. Thanks for your honest reply. I knew very little about breast feeding before I had my son. I didn't know anyone who breast fed past the age of 1 & I was under the impression that it was a given that you stop when the child was one. That the child no longer wanted it or needed it. I'm... show more Mom of Ethan & Sophie. Thanks for your honest reply. I knew very little about breast feeding before I had my son. I didn't know anyone who breast fed past the age of 1 & I was under the impression that it was a given that you stop when the child was one. That the child no longer wanted it or needed it.
I'm glad I didn't ignore my intuition or my son's needs & stop at 1. Reading about the benefits of breast milk past the age of 12 months, & seeing how healthy my son is confirmed what I was/am doing was/is "right".