Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

DO you eventually die from Leukemia?

my moms aid you do, their this boy at school with leukemia and ifeel so bad for him :(

Update:

yea he has no hair :[

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Leukemia is actually a cancer of the cells that create blood cells, or the bone marrow. It isn't actually the blood cells, themselves, that are cancerous. Cancer of any kind is dangerous - there is no such thing as a good cancer. Leukemia takes lives of children and adults every day but at the same time, there are many survivors that are in remission and doing very well. The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that a patient can reach remission and eventually NED status. There isn't a "cure" but it's generally accepted that after 5 years post treatment the leukemia is considered "cured."

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo, 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone then he'll have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

I hope this helped you out some, the most important thing to take from this is that LEUKEMIA IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli
  • 1 decade ago

Of course you can die from leukemia, but you can also get hit by car crossing the street and die. It's a broad question. Some people get bone marrow transplant and live a long time. They go into remission and can stay like that for years. It all depends on how viable your immune system is. I think if a person takes care of themselves and takes vitamins and minerals that can boost their immune system have a better chance of surviving than those that don't, That's Just my opinion though. Bottom line is, the healthiest person can have a disease at one time or another and even after all those precautions can die from the simplest of diseases. When God calls you home, that's it.

ADD JS I just read your answer and my heart goes out to you and your son. I know what it's like to loose a child. How I pray you don't experience that. I promise you, your son will be in my prayers tonight. God bless him and you. You're right, he is warrior to beat this at 2 yrs old. Thank God he did. Hold fast and have faith that he will grow up and you will be proud of him.

Source(s): RN Breast cancer survivor
  • 1 decade ago

There is a chance of dying

And there is a chance of living

My friend has have leukemia since he was 8 and he's now 13

And he's still living strong

The doctor said that in a couple years it'll be gone, maybe even sooner.

There is a chance that if the person gets sick like a cold they could die

The leukemia weakens the immune system

Source(s): witness
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If untreated, you may die.

Sorry, it's like cancer... no cure found yet.

George Bush's sister died from Leukemia, so it's a problem around the country.

Treat him really kindly, and he may have to go through chemotherapy, which will make his hair fall out. When that happens, don't stare, and treat him the same way as you treated him before.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • My 15 year old cousin who was like a brother to me actually died last month from Leukemia. I heard there's a pretty high chance that anyone with Leukemia will die from it.

• Evieve
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Leukaemia is not an immediate death sentence. It can be treated, just as other cancers can. And just like other cancers, there is no cure but many patients end up in remission for the rest of their lives. It all depends on the type of leukaemia and how aggressive and advanced it is.

• 1 decade ago

Do people eventually die from leukemia? My uncle did. But some survive as well. I don't know what the percentages are, but I think those who survive are in the minority.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hi,

may I suggest you go to: https://www.newmedicine.ca/ and send an inquiry about leukemia perhaps you'll get a much more promising answer than the ones your getting here. And perhaps you will be able to help the boy with leukemia you mention.

Bless you for your concern about that boy and bless him too.

• 1 decade ago

it depends how aggressive the cancer cells are.. there's a chance of survival for some.. some dont survive.. usually infection or hemorrhage could be the cause of death..

• 1 decade ago

you can die just like any other cancer. but theres a chance to live.

i think you start getting really weak and stuff

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.