Su_J asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 decade ago

What do you think about this woman? Do you buy into her reasoning for killing 3 year old boy?

Will she get away with this crime as most of the women criminals do (by defending their act as temporary insanity)?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/21/nm.buried.boy/...

Police: Mom killed boy, buried him in playground sand

(CNN) -- A 23-year-old woman suffocated her son and then buried his body beneath the sand of a playground, police in Albuquerque, New Mexico, said Thursday.

Police arrested Tiffany Toribio about 4 a.m., just hours after they said they wanted to speak to her about her missing 3-year-old son, Ty.

Family members had contacted authorities, saying her son matched the description of a boy found Friday at an Albuquerque playground.

Police Chief Ray Schultz said she confessed to killing the boy soon after being apprehended.

"She placed her hand over her son's mouth and nose and suffocated him. She had second thoughts about what she did. She performed CPR on her son, brought him back to life and then decided to go forward with that original act she had started to commit," Schultz said.

"What makes this story especially sad is, when asked the reason why she took Ty's life, Tiffany said that she did not want him to grow up with no one caring about him, the same way that she had grown up where nobody had cared about her."

An emotional Schultz added that Toribio has tried to kill herself since her arrest. She was being held in isolation at a detention facility and kept under observation, he said.

He added, "As you can see, this case has been very emotional for everybody in the department."

Toribio was charged with first-degree murder and an array of other charges, including abuse of a child under 12 that caused death.

The discovery of the body at Alvarado Park on Friday shocked the community, which dubbed the boy "Baby Justice" and "Baby Angel" as they rallied around his case.

Police released a composite image of the boy Tuesday, hoping to garner more leads in the case. They weren't able to release a photo of the boy because his body was so disfigured by the sand's heat.

Schultz said that after killing her son, Toribio dug a hole under gym equipment at the playground, moved the body and buried him in the shallow grave.

"Since that time, she's been walking the streets of the city of Albuquerque," he said.

The boy was wearing Arizona brand clothing, size 3T: nylon black running pants with red stripes, a red shirt with a monster truck on it and black, gray and lime green Skechers sneakers.

Toribio did not comment Thursday morning after her arrest as she was put in a police car.

Schultz said there had been no reports of child abuse filed against Toribio. But he said family members indicated that she did not express the typical love of a mother for her child.

"She did not show the normal relationship that you would see with a mother, son," he said.

This week, police had gone to residences where she had lived previously, but she wasn't there, Schultz said. Police had gone there after family members expressed concern because "they did not like the way Ty was being treated," the police chief said.

tasha w : Just a thought for you.

If you, for the sake of argument, have been neglected as a child would you provide all possible attention to your child or would you rather kill him? What is the meaning of ‘she did not want the boy growing up neglected? As long as you are around your child how the child can be neglected?

Favorite Answer

It is the ultimate evil to kill your child. Especially the way she did it. Suffocation is a horrible, horrible way to die, but she tortured him, brought him back to life, only to kill him again. That is the ultimate evil.

This story makes me absolutely sick to my stomach and it totally breaks my heart.

Brat Rich: You're absolutely right. Nothing the system could ever do to her would come remotely close to what she did to that little boy.

• Sarah

I'm pretty sure Tom was being sarcastic with the comment about Bill liking school...thats why he has the little winking face at the end. We all know Bill hated school. 1.) Nothing...there is nothing wrong with people who wear braces. 2.) I'd definitely be shocked, haha. But hey he can do whatever he wants...I guess... 3.) Lol, I'd be wondering why he's knitting sweaters instead of getting that new CD out 4.) Aww, I'd think that was really smart and I would try to think of something nice to do for him in return. 5.) Simple. Hunt them down and kill-- I mean injure them severely. 6.) Smack him lightly and tell him to give it back. 7.) *sigh* *snatches skittles away from Bill* STOP THAT! *smirk* Now I've got me some skittles ;) 8.) I'd be...worried. Is there something they aren't tell us? Who'd they knock up? 9.) I'd be shocked lol, NOT something I would expect Gustav to do. 10.) Haha, thats sort of...cute. 11.) AAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW! How sweet! See! That boy IS an angel, I always knew it! I'd go down and thank him and eat them of course, lol. 1.) Go with Tom to Germany for a week. It's my dream to visit Germany. 2.) See Georg boxing w/ a kangaroo in Chicago lol. Not only is that only a couple hours away from my hometown...but it would be highly entertaining. 3.) maid?...um, no I don't think so. I'd rather go see the concert. 4.) Tom's Personal doctor? Hehe *insert perverted thought* Nah, no really. I'd rather be Gustav's shoulder to cry on. 5.) Go to see the movie with Gustav and then the MTV awards. I can't imagine never see any of the band members again, even if it does mean missing out on a romantic date with Bill. 6.) Ah, crap...um...Zimmer 483. I LOVE the German version...but Scream is the first TH CD I ever listened to so it has sentimental value, lol.

Ultimately, BratRich says it all

However, clearly there is mental illness at play here. NO EXCUSE for this woman, don't get me wrong. But I have never been one to be happy with the "s/he did it, end of story"----I have always wanted to know the WHY of everything. She obviously has experienced some sort of neglect and/or trauma in her own life...this is why abuse is deemed cyclical, without intervention it goes on and on. And no, I 'm not blaming society, this woman is guilty and she should pay. And pay and pay and pay and pay.

When I think of the terror this sweet boy must have felt, the betrayal by his own mother who is supposed to protect him, my heart just bleeds for him. Hopefully his father can find some kind of peace

EDIT--- Although NONE of us can predict how we would have turned out if we had been abused/neglected as children, I don't beleive I would have it in my soul to kill a child, any child, for any reason. I don't believe this woman has any excuse at all---especially since she revived him then did him again, that is murder one with special circumstances right there

She has already started the steps needed to get a guilty by reason of mental defect conviction, on the off chance that the case actually makes it to a courtroom. First to allusion to her being abused, then the suicide attempts while in custody. Had she truly been that remorseful she would have committed suicide (or tried to) before she was apprehended. But no she waited until she was in custody and thus could be "saved" when she tried.

I highly doubt this case will go to any sort of trail though. Since she confessed chances are it will be plea-bargained down to manslaughter, she will get 15-20 years sentenced which means that with good time and other things that take time off a sentence, she will be out in about seven years.

Yes, that's our system, a child's life is worth about seven years of the murder's life.

She may well have a depressive personality and could claim diminished responsibility.

Btw This should be in the dictionary as the definition of indecision:

"She placed her hand over her son's mouth and nose and suffocated him. She had second thoughts about what she did. She performed CPR on her son, brought him back to life and then decided to go forward with that original act she had started to commit".

I am sorry but what she did was wrong and it is stupid for her to claim that she didn't want her child to grow up without love. well hey why didn't she let the father raise him. and if he didn't want the child here's an idea give the child up to someone who would love and care for him.

How can a mother kill her child. then try and save him then kill him again? how can a mother look into the eyes of her child and do that. how can a mother be so evil that she could kill her child. what the hell is wrong with people now days. a child is a gift you don't love them find someone else to love them like the father. this makes me sick,

I was never loved as a child. I never heard I love you.i was smacked around by BOTH my parents so i was never showed ANY love at all. but you know what that made me want to be a better mother to MY child, that made me want to show her that she is MY life and she is Loved and I show her how much better she has made my life.

So this mother should have never been allowed to have a child. she should have given him up. Sorry but this is just sick. God Bless

Source(s): Single mom to my 2 year old daughter who is MY life

It all depends. Remember, the jury needs to be absolutely convinced she committed this crime with a sane mental state. One side must prove she was sane, the other must prove she was not. If neither can overrule the other, I'm guessing it would end up a split jury and she would have another court date etc. So until evidence shows for either side I'm guessing she'll just keep getting moved around in the legal system.

That's my guess, I'm not sure what will happen. I've never been to law school so I could be totally wrong.

As for me, no. I do not buy her story. She had enough sanity to stop, but then kept going, meaning she had a clear choice.

I hope the ***** die the most horrible death life could possibly dish out. There is no excuse for taking a child life without give them a chance to live. And that goes for all parents who has done it or is thinking about doing it. The world is better off without them. **** pisses me off something terrible. I could care less if she is mentally ill. Feed her crazy *** to the sharks!!!

Man I'm so sick about hearing this type of **** going on!!

Wow, she's got issues. I hope that they aren't going to try the insanity plea though. Her actions and her confession show that she did this deliberately, knowing what she was doing, after evidently giving it some thought. She knew. She's not innocent.

I feel horrible for her poor little son. What a way to die. He must have been terrified and confused, not understanding why his mom was hurting him. : ( Poor guy....he didn't deserve that. I also feel bad for her family - I'm sure they are just kicking themselves over this. They knew something was wrong but they couldn't stop it. I hope they can get over that.

I'm glad she's going to jail. She doesn't belong out here with the rest of us. Anyone who can kill a child like that belongs in jail for the rest of their life.

Watched something on TV the other day, about women who premeditated, planned and aided the assassination of their own husbands and got slapped on the wrist. One woman who actually went thru with it described watching her husband beg for his life with a gun to his head as "Exhilarating, fun and nice to watch", and she got 3 years. Her husbands throat was cut with cheese wire while she was laughing the whole time and she got 3 years?? lol Geez

The other woman got caught conspiring on tape and so her husband pressed charges. The wifes mother said "How could he press charges in the knowledge that his childrens mother would go to jail??"<----HUH?? Shouldn't she have said something like "How could she try and kill him in the knowledge that her childrens father would be murdered??"