How did slavery cause the Civil War?

i need a couple reasons on how slavery caused the Civil War... not why it didnt, because i know a lot of people say it did and some say it didnt

Update:

No, I'm not talking about like Fort Sumter, I'm talking about like how slavery led up to the Civil War starting. Like "Bloody Kansas" for example. They were fighting over Kansas being a free state, or a slave state. So I'm asking what other events were there or how the slavery issue between the North and South led to hostility between them. Something like that.

Update 2:

ha. you're funny Mr. X... thanks historyboy

Update 3:

Guys, I'm doing a project and I'm assigned to research on why slavery DID cause the Civil War, so it doesn't really help to tell me it didn't. I can't change my topic

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It was all about the balance of power. The southern slave states were getting out numbered and thereby out voted by the free states. The US decided to let each new states choose to be or not a slave state. Lincoln did not win the majority vote. He won the delegate vote that caused the southern states to secede from the union thus causing the Civil War. So slavery in many ways WAS indeed the under lying root cause of the war. YES, it was INDEED SLAVERY!!! But more directly, it was about MONEY, MONEY ,MONEY$$$$$$$$

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The whole of the south America was dependent on slave labour , because there wealth depended mostly on agrarian products . The North took their lead from the British in banning slavery as most of there wealth depended on industry and skilled labour which slaves were not . The north was where their government was and it was decided to ban slavery for all time, and the south then succeeded from the union to create their own state and split the union, which the north would not stand for and war was inevitable . Then the south started the war by attacking started Fort Sumter . So slavery was the Catalyst that caused the civil war .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The issue of "causation" in the social field is always problematic. It's not like physics, where you can adopt a billiard ball model as the paradigm case. Historical events can have multiple causes, some recent, some more distant. So, for example, it could be argued that the "cause" of the civil war arose from the injunctions against slavery in the Old Testament. Alternatively, you might want to argue that it was industrialisation & the insistent demands of factory owners for fresh supplies of labour that "caused" the civil war.

However, the civil war was not fought over the issue of slavery. Rather, following a decision by the federal Government to abolish slavery, the Southern states attempted to secede from the Union. They argued, that since the individual states had joined a voluntary union, the power to break the union must lie with the individual states. On the other hand, the Northern states argued, that once the union was formed, power passed from the individual states to the federal union.

The question of whether the USA was a confederation or a union was discussed by the founding fathers (see, for example, the James Madison Papers) but was left undecided because it might have torn the union apart.

• 1 decade ago

Your gonna find a lot of weirdos who think that it was the North's fault for starting the Civil War. It is true, however, that slavery did not start the Civil War. The South's secession from the Union did. Although it was not illegal at the time, it was still wrong, and the only reason that it wasn't illegal was because nobody was nuts enough to try it. However, that belief was shattered when the Confederates did just that in 1861. They did that for a myriad of reasons, notably because of the North's refusal to accept slavery. Also, even though slavery did not cause the Civil War, President Lincoln's issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation eventually made slavery the War's focal issue. Is this is enough, cause I got to go? Hope I helped!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BO#44
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Slavery didn't cause the Civil War, it was the war of Northern Agression that started it. Union troops were illegally stationed in a battery off the coast of South Carolina, trespassing was just one of the charges. The Confederacy game them ample time and warning to clear the battery (Fort Sumter) or they would be fired upon. That is what started the Civil War.

** edit ** then I would recommend going to your history teacher and telling him you're unable to do the project assigned based upon the fact that slavery DIDN"T cause the Civil War. So which would he rather prefer, a truthful assessment of the assignment and the fact that the President of the United States, through enacting legislation, caused the Civil War, not the fact that the South seceded from the Union (or you can go with the falsities and just say the Confederacy secession from the Union is what caused the war). Whichever floats your boat. I'd prefer truth over falsities though.

• 1 decade ago

It did not.

Southerners who feared an abolitionist in the White House would outlaw the practice opted to:

a) secede from the Union; &

b) fire on Ft. Sumter before the North had even moved to do anything against the South.

Thus the guilt for starting the war starts with South Carolina, 1st state to secede & home of those that fired on Sumter.

Not surprising, then, that when Sherman's army marched thru South Carolina, northward from Georgia, it brought absolute unlicensed destruction as a means of punishing the home state of secession.

In spite of pop history spin on Lincoln being 'the Great Emancipator' from the get go, he himself stated early on in a letter to Horace Greely that if he could save the Union by not freeing the slaves he would do it. If leaving blacks half free & half slave would save the Union he would do THAT instead.

To him, keeping the country together was far more important than ending slavery. Unfortunately, things end up getting remembered &/or recorded differently as time goes on.

Source(s): Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings, ed. Roy P. Basler (Cleveland, Ohio: Da Capo Press, 2001), 652. Letter to Horace Greely, August 22, 1862. http://www.ashbrook.org/publicat/thesis/stevens/ho...
  • 1 decade ago

You won't find those answers simply because slavery did not cause the War Against Independence, Lincoln caused it.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/lincoln-arch.html

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.