Anonymous

Is the "White Man" responsible that many Black people are still poor?

Go through any inner city and you will see a lot of black people on welfare, food stamps, public housing. Is Obama the only guy in the gov who can help the blacks.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • MK6
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Blacks can start helping themselves. The Great Society experiment from the 1960's did more to harm the blacks, - than anything else.

Welfare - payment for non-work

Child Assistance - payment ONLY for when there's no father at the house.

Other govn't programs - somebody owes you something, - but you have to poor, stupid, and have more in-abilties to qualify for 'free' monies.

Free money to any group will only increase the population of that group. (Econ 101).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Im a black man and ill admit a lot of people black people do need to help themselves im sure there is tons of wasted potential because some direct their energy into the wrong places. ex: they could be smart, but never go to school or never want to do the work. Very athletic but chooses to get into trouble following the wrong crowd. But ill also say the "white man" did play a role in blacks being poor even today. Living in a poor community you have many negative influences and distractions around you that often lead you down the wrong path so although blacks can work hard and rise above poverty not every single person is gonna have that same drive and mentality to do better and those who dont have the strength or drive to wanna get out of the ghetto they remain stuck, and when they have kids the kids are likely to repeat the same cycle and it gets passed down generation to generation therefore leaving many blacks still poor.

• Lucy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It's a cycle that needs to be broken. If a child is raised in a welfare home, there's a good chance they will also be in need of assistance some day. Education is the main thing that will break the cycle. If the children aren't receiving an adequate education then the cycle will continue.

Another reason the "cycle" continues is because, as the first poster pointed out, the government is in the habit of helping those that don't help themselves, so it's hard for someone to successfully make the transition from welfare to employment. Unfortunately at the present time, many Americans of all varieties are facing unemployment, so a stable economy will also be necessary to help break the cycle.

Another consideration is that some blacks should let go of their anger about the past because it may only serve to hold them back from reaching their full potential.

• 3 years ago

I agree. because of the fact the black race has many times been exiled for virtually 4 hundred years; plus segregation - that still exists to a pair quantity, social empathy of whites being undesirable makes it even. yet, being in a diverse social class - prevents you from wisdom what different social instructions are like when you consider which you're proof against the only you're. Larry is easily precise. we've those closet supremacists who're a similar one's who smile on your face, yet call you a "N" as you change around. regrettably, the country nevertheless has them, yet to inform you easily the fact, human beings are making a huge deal approximately it because of the fact he's an intensive pastor who talks undesirable approximately white human beings. and of direction, you are going to have white human beings getting mad over the comments he has made. It has no longer something to do with Obama, different than the undeniable fact that Wright has been his pastor for two decades. And the media thinks that because of the fact he's been his pastor for for this reason long, it quite is what Obama quite thinks approximately white human beings. My answer to that's who provides a damn what they think of Obama thinks. comparable with Bush, i'm effective he concept two times approximately sending troops to New Orleans in below 5 days whilst he knew it is populated with African American adult adult males, females and babies. So who cares. The objective is who can convey the replace?!?! OBAMA '08

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Growing up in a single parent household is the number cause of poverty in the United States. In 1940, at the height of the KKK, segregation, Jim Crow, etc... blacks had a 19% illegitimacy rate. In 2008 blacks had a 72% illegitimacy rate. And 55% of black males at BLACK COLLEGES drop out.

The black community needs to start taking responsibilities for their own shortcomings, and stop scapegoating whitey.

And actually Amor y paz, East Asians, Indians, Muslims, and African immigrants, as a group, all out earn white Americans as a group in the United States.

• 1 decade ago

No, black people are the reason black people are poor.

You see, the great black people who make a difference, and then you see the ******* idiots WHO TRY AND ACT GHETTO (when their parents worked so hard to not be ) and then act like they have a hood.

Its ignoracne like this that makes black people poor.

If the Crips n Bloods were a united mafia, they could literally own a small country, or better yet they could actually make a difference in africa.

Obama is jsut one guy who can help, but more often than not its the people themselves who need to make adjustment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Stop whinging and get off your bu** and do something. There are sh*tloads of poor whites too, so stop blaming white people, the Arabs are just as rich or the Japanese &c &c. The key is not to wallow in self pity and make your own opportunities and get on with it. My ancestors were mostly Irish so I know what I'm talking about. The English took 75% of the Irish Population in the 17th Century and turned them into slaves in the Caribbean too. Do you see us whining about it? NO! We just picked ourselves up and got on with it. They only stopped killing the native Irish less than 10 years ago. Ireland went from being one of the poorest countries in Europe and is now one of the richest countries in the Europe and richer than the stupid English who tried to wipe us out.

Not only that, Arabs and other Africans operated the slave trade in Africa alongside Europeans, so what's with blaming the White Man? Grow Up. I'm white and my ghetto was every bit as hard as yours.

In the words of the mighty Steel Pulse (Bob Marley's favourite band) - "Grab Education my Children"

Get over it

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

See this is what im talkin about. everyones racist. its not just white people.nope. bein called a cracker!! is the same as calling black person a ******! so im just gonna go around callin all blacks *******. i know how much they like it and all......... and most black people are poor because they like feeling sorry for themselves. and they sulk about being mistreated because of there race. and having to work sooooo hard to be recegnized as a human race.... boo hoo...:( people who are poor be they black OUR white are lazy and choose not to do something with there lives. most people on welfare were stupid drugies who had babies when they were teens and cant stay off the drug and dont really try to change there lives.if they didnt buy drugs or have lots of kids they'd probley have more money.

• 1 decade ago

How are white people responsible for black people's actions?

Black people should take responsibility for their own actions.

Blacks should not blame whites for holding them back.

Obama can't always help black people.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whitey did not put a gun to Black people's head and force them to be become drug dealers or go work at a low paying job like Burger King for example.

• 1 decade ago

ppl have many opportunities to better themselves but if they choose to ignore those opportunities than they have no one to blame but themselves for being in the position they're in.

if you drop out of school and start doing,selling drugs youll go no where in life

if you just say, oh well ill just get on welfare till i get back on my feet, but you make no effort to better yourself than thats your fault

i think there should be a time limit for welfare recepients then theyd have three choices-live in the streets like a bum, go to school or get a job

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.