Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Any input about an African Dwarf Frog?

We have a well established tank: constant 78 degrees, 30 gallon, fresh water, tropical community of 3 Black Skirt Tetras and (now 2) Tequila Sunrise guppies. The water is a little on the hard side but all other levels are well within safe ranges. Lightly planted with four plastic ambulia plants with a small, hollow reef-like rock and pirate ship for decor/hiding.

We are thinking about adding 1-2 ADF's to our tank as a birthday surprise to our son for his 5th (he LOVES our fish tank). Our "fish-guy" explained the potential for the ADF to eat smaller fish as well as being extremely lazy but otherwise would not affect the community much.

My minimal research seems to indicate that the ADF's are not necessarily suited for such a large tank. If we added a suction-cup rock or other such "rest area" midway in the tank, would that help?

Just looking for opinions, comments, suggestions from someone who has kept ADF's before (successfully or unsuccessfully... both perspectives are welcome)!

Favorite Answer

I have tried to keep ADFs in small tanks several times, with no success. This was frustrating for me, as I have been successfully keeping fish for many years, and couldn't stand that I was killing these little critters.

I'd sworn them off for good when I picked up a used 45-gallon, complete with fish, and 2 ADFs. Since Goldfish were slated for residency in the 45, I put them in my planted, sandy bottom, very well established, 20-gallon tall (!) Female Betta Sorority tank, where they have now been happily residing for about a year now.

I don't think ADFs are not going to bother your fish. ACFs, (African Clawed Frogs,) will, so be sure to stay away from them. My ADFs live with Ghost shrimp with no problem. But I also keep them well fed.

ADFs will not compete for food, so you must feed them their own diet, and watch that they eat it. It is common for them to starve to death if their food intake is not monitored.

They are also super sensitive to water quality, so you'll need to keep up on your weekly partial water changes, and test your water parameters regularly.

I don't know if the ADFs would use a rest area, but I'm sure it would be nice to offer it. Mine spend the majority of their time in their caves, under the moss, or floating amongst my taller plants at the surface.

Here's a profile for these guys:

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Dwarf_African_Frog

On another note, please up your Black Skirt count to at least 5, as these are schooling fish that need to be kept in larger groups to feel secure and stem fin nipping and aggression.

Good luck.

Source(s): Experience.

I just wanted to make a comment, if I may. I bought, what I thought was an African Dwarf Frog. Instead, it turned out to be an Albino African Clawed Frog. (Most pet stores don't even know what the heck they are selling) Anyway, after several months, the so-called *peaceful* frog, turned into a fish eating monster. I would do some studying first, before you make a purchase, so that the little guy doesn't end up eating every fish in your tank. Just a suggestion based on my experience.

Edit: If you go to my profile, and look at the last question I asked, you will find some links and information that was given to me when I asked about this.

I had 4 ADFs they were pretty hardy but they will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Sometimes they would try to eat each others feet and stuff. They never succeeded though. We had a couple little fake rocks and ornaments in the tank for them to sit on or under. They lived long happy lives. They are fun to watch and Im sure your son will love them.

Mixing with Fish: *Do not mix these guys with aggressive fish such as the Tiger barb fish or they will become lunch meat! African dwarf frogs should only be in tanks with peaceful community fish, such as a single Beta Fish, Coolie Loaches or Coolie Fish, Goldfish, Tetras, and even Bala Sharks. Most important though, if you start mixing the communities, is to watch for overcrowding. It is the number one cause for fish diseases, because it messes up the pH levels of the tank, and will eventually impact the health of your frogs as well.

my sister has 2 african dwarf frogs and soon she will be putting them with 3 dwarf platy. The african dwarf frogs LOVE sinking pellets and if they dont go after their food and you never see them eat dont worry about it. they eat but they dont always eat right away. Just leave them be...even if they didnt see you drop the pellet in they know you did because they can smell it. If they fight with each other dont get alarmed it wont hurt them...as for the other fish, dont get any with flowy or long tails...our frogs dont like it and tend to bit them and rip them...we had to get another tank for the betta that kept getting hurt.

But with what you mention it should be fine (the guppies aren't what i cann flowy fins so that should be safe)

Have fun