Possible Leukemia in toddler?

My 16 mth old daughter had a CBC ran, and her WBC came back very high and her hemoglobin very low, after a series of tests, the Dr's are leaning towards her possibly having Leukemia.

Leukemia is in our family history.

She is a very normal toddler, shows no signs of illness. She does battle a cold a lot, but other than that is healthy.

I do not know what to think or what to do next. Any advice???

Favorite Answer

It is entirely possible your daughter has leukemia but it's also possible that she doesn't, she may just have an infection. Only her doctor can tell for sure. The best thing you can do is to educate yourself. Talk to other parents of little warriors. The first person I talked to after my son's first diagnosis told me to make him a caringbridge page so that we could keep friends and family updated without having to go crazy repeating ourselves on his progress. It also gives us more time to focus on our son and our other 7 children at home.

The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo and 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some and I hope nothing but the best for you, your daughter, and the rest of your family. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli http://www.caringbridge.com http://curechildhoodcancer.ning.com

Leukemia Symptoms Toddler

• foye

Toddler Leukemia Symptoms

• Rubym

I hope everything turns out OK, as you probably know if there have been cases in your family, treatment today is usually fairly effective when it is caught early, and if your child is healthy otherwise it probably is a good sign.

But you might want to go for a second opinion to be sure. Infections in the system can cause the high blood count. You said she seems to get colds a lot, it could be a bad sign, or there could be in an infection, not cancer. But check with another doctor is possible to confirm the tests.

• Rae

It is a possibility. My son was diagnosed with a rare leukemia when he was 10 months old. We thought he was the healthiest kid. He had a big belly and double chin. His head would sweat so badly at night that his pillowcase was wet every morning. We found out that the cute big belly was enlarged liver & spleen. The double chin was swollen lymph nodes. The only cure for his type of leukemia was a bone marrow transplant. He was only given a 10% chance of living. He is now 13 years old. Some leukemias are easily treated with just chemo. Others,like my son's are very tough to beat. My advice if your daughter is diagnosed is to get with the hospital social worker and try to get financial aide.Be like a Mama Lion protecting her cub.If you would like to email me feel free.

i was just diagnosed wit leukemia last monday. The reason i went to te doctor was because i was REALLY pale and was lossing weight 4 no reason. I am 14 years old and havent started my period yet so that also freaked the doctors out. so yup i got leukemia. I also got a cold alot so idk maybe ur daughter has it.

well u should not just think u are ut of the blue just stay on gard better safe then sorry andi got my when was 3 year old so u should be careful

yes they are, an you can have them teach you to tie it off around his head to help keep it in ,

i would go to the doctors for advise, but it is very possible.