Annie asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

How do I get through a pap smear without getting tense?

I am 22 and getting a pap smear two days after my 23rd birthday. This will be the 3rd one I've ever gotten. The first for some reason didn't hurt, and the last one hurt a lot and caused me to bleed.

I am nervous and dreading this. I want to not go but I know it's necessary so I am making myself go through it.

I have a hard time relaxing during a pap smear. Any ideas on how I can relax so it does not hurt this time?

Favorite Answer

The more tense you are, the more it will hurt...your nervousness makes all your muscles tense up including the vaginal muscles.

Try cleansing deep breaths slowly, in through your nose and out your mouth to relax. Or perhaps, bring your ipod and listen to your favorite song during the procedure.

No doubt,its an uncomfortable procedure for us women, but it only lasts for a few moments thank god. Also, mention to your doctor how tense you get..if he can't empathize with your feelings, find a new doc.

• Terri

Just be sure to tell your doctor its hard for you to relax. Then when its time, take slow deep breaths, concentrate on the ceiling, and thing of a happy place while breathing out and in.

I've had pap smears from age 11 till age 35 (now).

mine hurt bad too & always make me bleed-I just try to remember it's only for a brief few minutes & concentrate on something on the ceiling-sometimes the offices have pictures or something on the ceiling & i try to concentrate on that & just try to relax as much as possible-i also try counting in my head-that helps to at least keep your mind off a little bit of what they're doing down there!

its alomost impossible they tell me to kepp everything from the waist down relax by focusing on my breathing through your nose out your mouth it helps me

practice makes perfect

tell the dr your tense and see if they can be easy on ya