Why is flying the Confederate flag allowed? It's an enemy of the United States that represents murderous cons?

The Confederate Flag is a flag of an enemy of the United States, and people that fly it should be treated as such!

Anyone who wears that Battle Dress of the Confederate Soldiers should be detained as a prisoner of war. If they try to resist arrest, they should be shot.

EVEN ANDREW JOHNSON(Lincoln's vice president) called the leaders of the murderous confederacy "traitorous aristocrats"...

Best Answer

I agree with what you are saying.

I can think of 2 reasons people display that flag, without stopping to think of what that flag represents - the subjugation of an entire race of people (or even worse, maybe they did but I won't bring that up).

1) They want to be perceived as rebels, "good ole boys"

2) Shock value

Keep in mind, you only remember the fights that you lost. And we shouldn't forget a national tragedy either. But flying that flag from your massive pick up truck is nothing to be proud of.

I am so tired of this States Rights crap. Would you scream "States Rights!" as you charge into battle to die for a rich mans slave?

I agree that it should be done away with. But not for your reason. Just as you or I did not enslave people, or chase the jewish, or retaliate for pearl harbor, the people who fly the confederate flag today do not fly it for that reason. Often they feel the flag represents "southern pride". The problem is that the flag is linked in most minds to racism and slavery.

And, the US is free. That is why they are allowed to fly what ever flag they wish. Freedom of expression, just as you are free to express your views of it on here.

I do not fly this flag and I am not from the South. However, if you take away someone's right to expression, how long will it be until someone feels offended by something you say or do? Should they take away someone's car because it is the color black? Should those little indians that kids play with have been made all different colors just because an indian was offended because they were always red?

Taking people's right to free expression and free speech away is not what this country was built on.

OK wow so I can see you're a little close-minded. Shall I give you my take on the matter? I think I will.

Believe it or not, there are some people (Southerners, Northerners, Americans all around, ooo ooo even those from all over the world) who see the Confederate Flag in it's cultural historical context.

It is NOT only a symbol of slavery and such, it is a symbol of the life and morals which once existed in a long ago past, perhaps the only remembrance that some can cling to to remember their heritage. I am not supporting those who happily wave their flags in front of minorities or drive around with their gun-tottin pickups and have the flag in the back window. I am supporting those who see it as a cultural symbol.

For example, my mother who hails from Virginia, sees the Confederate Flag as a historical symbol, NOT slavery.

Please separate the cultural/historical connotations from the modern, racist ones.

Source(s): related to southerners AND northerners, and while we're at it... the Irish

Americans, albeit Confederates, died under that flag. While I do not support what the flag has come to symbolize today (racism), the fact of the matter is that most Southern soldiers fought simply because they had to oppose the North's desire to impose Union, by force.

Different point of view, I know, but I love to read American history.

Here's a bit of trivia: in the early 80s, I was stationed aboard a DDG. The ship's name was the USS Raphael Semmes, after the Confederate Navy Captain who sank or captured more US flagged ships than any other opponent, any war. What's more, it was the third ship to bear his name.

My Captain wanted a new Battle Flag, a huge thing that, thankfully, we only flew in exercises. I brought him one of my books, opened the bookmarked page and pointed. The Battle Flag of the Confederate Navy. And so, in 1982, after over 110 years, the flag flew again.

It looks more like the Texas, or Puerto Rican flag. Unless you were a serious history buff, you'd never know.

What's the big deal?

Source(s): USN ret.

In the US people have the freedom to express themselves. They could be flying Nazi flags if they wished, they are within their rights. Now that is all well and good on an individual level. I do disagree with the flying of the Confederate flag on many state and county buildings in the south.

The Stars and Bars is a historical flag of the USA, it is not an enemy of the USA. If you actually knew its history, which I can tell you never did your research, you would know this much. You would know what the battles were actually about, and slavery was only a minor part of the Civil War between the states. As you state, you do not even know which side flew the Stars and Bars. Personally, I would fly the flag as a reminder of the freedoms that have been removed from the states to govern themselves, the theft of the federal government to gain control of all the state's power, not unlike what is happening now in the current administration.

The Civil War was the deadliest war in American History.

While the Confederate Battle Flag was flown by the "loser", it doesn't mean that it doesn't represent many of the ancesters of Americans today.

A large part of the USA, southern states,and American soldiers living there, fought and died for that flag.

Ever hear of Six Flags Over America? One of those six flags is a Confederate Flag.

I'm not saying that it also symbolizes the "states right" doctrine, and those who fought to preserve slavery (and for that reason, flying of the Confederate Flag should be limited to events associated with the Civil War),

BUT that flag will also be remembered as a part of American History, and those who died for it, even if their cause was reactionary, and wrong.

• Helios

Well.... it's a pretty ugly thing - but Abe Lincoln sort of put this together when he said (out of the upstairs window of the White House) - '...with malice toward none, with charity for all..." At the time we needed to forgive our enemies and let them go free - back to their farms and families.

It's funny that out of this tradition of forgiveness this slave flag has survived. It's a symbol of their weakness and undying hate - but it's all the South had left. Good sense would normally ban the slave flag - but I doubt if law could.

that is all a matter of opinion.

The false notion that the Battle Flag must be a racist symbol is born of the mistaken belief that the Civil War was about slavery. This bit of propaganda has been repeated ever since President Lincoln and his political allies decided to “free the slaves” (in actuality Lincoln only freed those slaves in the Confederacy, slaves in Union states such as Maryland and West Virginia remained slaves). The truth, however, is plain to anyone who wishes to delve into the history, and the proof lies in the proposed Corwin Amendment of 1861. This amendment was proposed by Congressman Thomas Corwin (R) from Ohio and stated,

No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State.

Prior to his election, Lincoln had voiced his support of the amendment. Like many politicians of his time, Lincoln believed in the preservation of the Union beyond all else. When the Bill was brought before the House seven states had already formally left the Union (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina) never the less the bill passed 133-65 and was forwarded to the Senate. In March of 1861 the Senate approved the bill 24-12. Both of these votes were from a Northern majority, seeing as most of the South had already left. Both the outgoing President, James Buchanan, and the newly elected Abraham Lincoln publicly endorsed the amendment. In fact, during Lincoln’s inaugural address he had this to say of the Corwin Amendment,

I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution–which amendment, however, I have not seen–has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States, including that of persons held to service. To avoid misconstruction of what I have said, I depart from my purpose not to speak of particular amendments so far as to say that, holding such a provision to now be implied Constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.1

The amendment went on to be ratified by Ohio, Maryland, and then Illinois before the outbreak of the Civil War halted the process of adopting the new amendment. Now ask yourself, if the Civil War was really about slavery why didn’t the Corwin Amendment, already passed by the Federal Legislature and well on its way to ratification (given the three free states which had ratified it, and the 15 slave states which would as well, only four more states would have needed to ratify it), end the conflict? The Northern states had already compromised on slavery. The truth is that the Civil War was not about slavery, it just became popular to create propaganda to make it seem so because it gave the Union an image of moral superiority.

Freedom of speech and freedom of expression...if you don't like the Confederate flag don't look at it...should we just do away with anything to do with our history. I have more of a problem with those that choose to walk on the American flag than those that still fly the Confederate flag.

Not everyone sees a symbol as you see it. People fly the flag for different reasons. I'm sorry that you have such harsh feelings against it, but this is America and YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO NEVER BE OFFENDED - even if the person displaying that flag does mean it to be a racist symbol.

Personally, I am extremely offended by the Malcom X symbol. He preached "by any means necessary." That is nothing more than a call to violence, but everyone is still free to display that symbol, aren't they?

.