My subwoofers stopped working?!?!?

i have a kicker system in my '94 bmw. my 2 10" subwoofers just stopped working. it started with the right one followed by the other. everything is plugged in from what i can tell and my amp is fine. is it a short somewhere? if so, how do i tell where the short is, and just... what do i do?

they arent blown.

if both woofers are hooked up to the same power source wouldnt all the speakers mess up simultaneously?

would that rule out fuses?

Best Answer

check your grounds and the fuze

If at first view, the amp looks like it's fine, check the wiring to the sub. It can sometimes vibrate loose, even if you're using a quick-connect or other type of connecter. If it wasn't crimped down enough on the speaker wire, the wire may have slipped out after time. Once those are checked and deemed to be in good shape, I'd work my way back through to the amp and just double check fuses. Don't give 100% to those little lights on the amp. They can give a false positive sometimes. Besides, you put time and money into building this system,... and if you paid someone to set it up for you, it's now time to get intimate with your own stereo system. The chances of the sub just not working all of a sudden is slim to none. Even if it was blown, you'd still get some noise out of it. If it's completely dead, you most likely have a loose wire somewhere. Good luck and happy hunting!

is one of your speakers blown? check all your connections. Also inside the speaker box check connections in there. Also do you have the source bridged? then your running from one speaker to another? (as in stage speaker set up) if that's how your running the first speaker maybe its swallowing up all the energy run from the two channels on the amp instead of one. that's all i can think of.

how do u know the subs arent blown.did u test them on another amp.that would be my first check,if there ok then id check the amp ground,Make sure its bare metal.if subs work then amp could be bad.but to me it sounds as if u blew one then the other.

If none of that works try hooking your subs up to someone elses system and see if your subs aren't blown then go from there..

it could be the fuse, or maybe it could be that your amp just got to hot and went into protection mode and just stops playing when it's cool try playing it again.

did you check the fuse's on it? and if there is a short it maybe easier to Just put in new weirs