Why does my car blow air through the vents even when I turn it off?

It used to only be one, but now it's all of them. Is this something I can fiddle with on my own on a day off with a Haynes manual or is it a long complicated process to fix?

it's a honda civic. I mean, it stays pretty much on "low" when I turn it off. If I have it on cold air it'll blow cold air if I switch it to hot it'll blow hot. It's like it's on but I have it turned to the off position.

Favorite Answer

It's normal for it to blow a little bit of air even with it turned off unless you turn recirculate on.

Well, there are a lot of things to consider. Since you don't mention the car I would suggest that most air handling systems are similar in that they all have a fan. The fan is the only thing that can actually move air so if you are still getting air flow through the vents I would suggest it is one of the following.

1. Fan motor is getting some low level power either through a bad switch or a short.

2. Fan motor spins down after you cut the power off.

I would start by unplugging the fan motor which usually is on the fire wall under the hood. If that stop it, my guess would be a faulty switch.

The haynes Manual most likely will not be able to help you

with this particular situation. One of your vacuum operated or

cable operated vent doors are not closing properly. You may

want to check with a local A/C repair shop and get an opinion.

Just a thought here.

The dealer is telling you the truth, it's called after blow, the fan runs to help evaporate the moisture in the evaporator for your air conditioner, this is to prevent any mildew from growing inside your heater, this would cause a bad odour and is not good for your health. It is possible to disable this function at the dealer but I wouldn't.

you can go to google to look about Whenever I turn my air conditioning off, air will blow onto my feet while ... Weather or not you have the unit turned on air must still circulate through the car. ... Its these vents that allow the air to circulate even when the blower is off. ... Yahoo! does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! ...

Source(s): answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090320234525AAmltJH - 57k -

I'm not sure what type of car that you are working on..... I know when this happens on Bmw's often the resistor for the blower motor has shorted out. This is a pretty easy fix with basic car knowledge.

if the vents still blow air if you disconnect the battery then, it could be the wind or just the car is not level with the ground, but it shouldn't matter

What is the make/model of your car? I know some fords work off of vacuum and if you get a hole in one of the hoses that they will do crazy things.

check the re-circulate switch. It allows air to circulate without it being heated or cooled. That may be open.

How long does it last your blower may not be turning off.