j asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Putting birth mothers name back on birth certificate...?

I was adopted in Arkansas in 1981 by my dads new wife. I remember being in court and my birth mom there fighting it. The judge allowed the adoption without visitation with my birth mom. i dont know any of the specifics of the case. In the last 10 years i have reunited with my birth mom and would like to know what i need to do to put her name back on my birth certificate. I would like to do this for her birthday for her and i am wondering if this can be done without an attorney. We still reside in Arkansas.

Thanks for any help.

Favorite Answer

You being adopted by your fathers new wife should not have changed your birth certificate.

In any case, you need to contact the health department vital statistics office to see what you need to do.

• Betty

It is illegal to that and falsifies the birth certificate. The birth certificate is a truthful document of who are the parents of the child. You're not the mother of the child so you two should be ashamed of yourselves for thinking it's okay. How would you like it if you found out that the people named as your (original) birth certificate weren't really your natural parents? Is this surrogacy or your friend choosing adoption? If it's surrogacy you need to check on the laws in your state. If this adopted then you need to legally adopt. This means there is a birth certificate with the natural parents name on it then when you adopt you get an amended birth certificate. Edit, You should have been told the legalities of surrogacy and the reason I suggested you check the law where you live is for a good reason. I'm in the UK where the law states the surrogate mother is the legal mother regardless of whether her eggs are used or not. There are surrogate mothers here who have decided to raise the baby, been taken to court and have been given custody of the baby.

See about having her adopting you back. Adults get adopted all the time. Good luck