Do you think if parents buy their kids condoms, it encourages them to have sex?

Cause as a teenager, I never consider getting sexual active until my mom got me started on birth control. And my boyfriend and I would fool around, but I was always scared about getting caught having sex. Then my boyfriends dad was warning him if we ever got a hotel room, he'd get into trouble. So, its like they gave us the ideas. Thats why I'm wondering if when parents buy their kids condoms, it encourages them to have sex young. What do you think?

(Yes it encourages them to have safe sex, but I'm just talking about having sex overall at a young age)

Favorite Answer

It doesn't exactly send the message for them to abstain!

I buy my kid a shirt, they wear it. I buy my kid food they eat it. I buy them a video game, they play it. I buy them condoms.. they are more likely to use them...to have sex.

• Troy

Not sure about encouraging it but it gives them green light to consider it. I was taught a lot of safe sex by my family and when they gave me the safe sex talk 101 I assumed that they were aware of the possibility of premarital sex. Without the talk I would probably still think they expected me to stay celibate until adulthood.

It's different from encouragement because that to me would sound like "sex is great, amazing, simple, fun and you should have as much as you can while you're young". That's not the message most safe sex parents want to spread. But teens become aware of their parent's position. They might say that they would prefer it if you didn't have sex at all but the fact that they know it is possible makes one wonder if it's time to use the knowledge.

I still think safe sex and condoms are the best way to go though. Without the knowledge the idea will come to us sooner or latter and it's good to be prepared.

I don't think it encourages them exactly, it basically just says your need to have safe sex, thats why parents will sometimes buy their kids condoms.

But your boyfriends dad saying that about a hotel room, I personally would take that as an idea ha-ha. But then it may not be that way to you. Hope i helped.

I don't feel like by my parents talking to me about sex and safe sex that they encouraged me to have sex. Actually it scared me,b/c I was conceived in the backseat of my Dad's 83' Camero when they were 16 and didn't use protection. (my parents married right after I was born and divorced when I was 2 years old )So I knew when I started having sex I would use protection. When I chose to have sex for the 1st time it was b/c I was hot and bothered and wanted to and thought the boy really loved me but I still frame of mind to ask the boy to use a condom. I never had unprotected sex until my husband.

I think that would not encourage them to have sex in the sense that they are going to do it anyway if they want. But giving condoms can assure parents that atleast they are practicing safe sex.

If a parent buys their kid condoms, I don't believe that it encourages them to have sex. It's much more important to be open about talking about sex than it is to encourage them to not have it.

People have sex, parents should at least make sure their kids are being safe about it.

• No, if they don't want to have sex then they won't, however if they do then they are now protected, they will do it either way and keeping them in ignorance, just because you don't want them to grow isn't going to help at all. I swear, some people would rather their child died of an STD over some moral principle.

Does it encourage them? No. It protects them against STDs and pregnancy.

Most kids have sex. Do I want my son to have sex before he's emotionally mature? No. Will he regardless of my wishes? Yes. Should he be safe or just do it and suffer the consequences later? SAFETY FIRST.

It does unless you give it to them indirectly. You should discourage it but always say to use a condom then have some condoms in an accessible place (like your medicine cabinet) so they will know where to get a condom if they have sex but also know you discourage it.

not really,if it may happen that, u decide to have sex, they encourage u to have protected sex.