Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

America, home of the free?

A record 7 million people -- one in every 32 U.S. adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole by the end of last year, a Justice Department report released yesterday shows.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic...

Ummm, my question is at the top in bold where it normally is.

Results 1 - 10 of about 9,540,000 for innocent in prison. (0.23 seconds)

Yeah, no one is ever wrongly convicted.

• Curt J
    Best Answer

Sure we're the Home of the Free, but that doesn't mean free to do any damn thing we want. I don't suppose you'd be real happy if someone felt "Free" to walk into your house and help himself to your most valuable possessions, would you?

How about if some person walked up to you knocked you flat on your posterior and helped himself to your wallet?

I agree with your contention that there are people wrongly convicted, but no system is perfect and very often, those same wrongly convicted persons are later exonerated.

So, should we just allow criminals to run free, or should we lock them up, thereby allowing non-criminals to enjoy their freedom?

Alternatively, we could just line all convicted felons up and shoot them. Much cheaper in the long run than housing, feeding and taking care of their medical/educational needs.

Source(s): Just my opinion

I'm 40 years old in August and have been almost all over the country. If these people have been wrongly convicted, why have I not been imprisoned or on probation ? Everyone I know who's ever went to jail or on probation made choices to get them there, even if not directly, indirectly. Sometimes all it takes is hanging around with the wrong crowd to get you put in jail which by the way I know has happened to quite a few people.

God bless.

I believe that once a person becomes a criminal, society has a right to protect itself from him. However, the fact is that America does have to highest incarceration rate. That is a sign of something fundamentally wrong, that our country tends to produce criminals.

Why? I would guess that part of the reason is the disparity between rich and poor in this country. Poverty breeds despair, despair breeds crime, etc. Children growing up in crime-ridden neighborhoods are often socialized to become violent themselves or simply feel the need to become so lest they be victimized themselves.

Another reason for the crime may be our culture. Our popular entertainment is filled with violent images. That is not an excuse for violent behavior; the responsibility still lies with the individual. However, those images don't help. In addition, violence was an element, perhaps a necessary one, of American life during the frontier days. That trait is part of our culture to this day.

Uhh, for many, life in prison is fast becoming preferable to life outside. The government is feeding you and giving you a livable place to sleep, for free. If I was homeless that's where I'd go.

But yes, the issue will always exist where some are penalized for trivial crimes, wrongly punished, and other problems that come with living under such a society.

Source(s): *PostEdit Wes: What? *BSherman: dude, half of the HK force is in the pockets of whichever Triad is holding the most power. I doubt those statistics are rock-solid.

What's sad is I believe like 60% of the people in jail are non violent offenders ( maybe it was 40.... i just know it is extremely high ). And we're paying upwards of $40k per year to house and feed these people. For $40k we could pay for these people to go to college, and think how much tax payer money could actually be saved ( although the government is terrible at saving any money, or spending it wisely for that matter.... they didn't work for it... why should they? )

Thanks for the info. Yeah, those figures are scary. Particularly the rise in the number actually behind bars, rather than on probation. Also I see many sitting for months in jail, waiting to see a judge -- and they don't meet with their court-appointed attorneys until five minutes before the hearing.

If we let the conservative fascists have their way it will only get worse. They wont stop until every one is in their own individual box with a bible, a tv and a toilet. You will be instructed exactly where, when and how to do things but never why.

Compare your ratio to any other industrialized nation - we arent just racing to the bottom were trying to redefine the bottom.

• Lynnda

I think the drug laws need to be changed. You know, for the weekend smoker. They end up with felonies and can only get a better deal if they rat on other people. I think it's wrong. They should legalize pot and tax it. That would solve a few problems.

We are becoming fascist, so not for long.

Oh and I said 1 gram is quite a bit of weed to see if he was a troll. Lol.

That is because we need prison reform,non-violent offenders often times, have a longer sentence than murders/rapists.

Source(s): Independent Americna

Its because we don't give lashing or more death penalties without appeals like alot of other countries do. People would think twice if they had to get the hell beat out of them for a small crime rather than go to a hotel for a few day.