Top 10 Teen Idols on Film? Do You Agree with People Magazine?

1. Frank Sinatra

2. James Dean

3. Elvis Presley

4. Troy Donahue

5. Michael Jackson

6. John Travolta

7. Rob Lowe

8. Johnny Depp

9. Zac Efron

10.Robert Pattinson

We are talking from the 1940s to now! What do you say?

Michael Jackson starred in "The Wiz" in case you were puzzled...... This was during his teen idol phase.

Fantasy Rocks, I was also surprised Leo DiCaprio wasn't on the list. And, I was surprised Troy Donahue made the list - he was a flash in the pan IMO.

ck1, You are right about Valentino. Forgot about him. Also, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Ricky N. & Tab Hunter would have made better choices than #4. Emilio Estevez & brat pack, I see faces & names aren't coming to me #7.

#9 & #10 I question. Really to early to tell. I looked at your link: David Cassidy, Davy Jones, Ricky Nelson (both TV & music) would have been better choices for #9 & #10. Cool. Thanks for sharing that link!!!!!

ck1, You are right about Leo D. I often wonder how "they" come up with "their" lists. Who do they ask? Where do they get their info? Would be interesting to find out.

K, I did not know Johnny Depp was hated on 21 Jump Street. Interesting. He's always been a fave of mine.....

Hi Biner, This was a male list and I should have been more clear. The title of list was just that "Top 10 Teen Idols on Film". You're right. People hasn't done Females, yet...... We need to do our own picks and see what we come up with...... You named some good women!

Fantasy Rocks, I was never a big fan of Troy Donahues..... He was just a flash in the so called pan. Also, if I had to name a movie he was in, I couldn't do it. He was just looks and that's all.........

• ck1
    Favorite Answer

1. Frank Sinatra - I'd definitely agree, since he is considered the first teen idol, even though Valentino was surely a precursor to the teen idol fantasy.

2. James Dean - Yes

3. Elvis Presley - Yes

4. Troy Donahue - I suppose, but I'm not sure if he would surpass Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Ricky Nelson or even Tab Hunter. (***I like your description of Troy Donahue being "a flash in the pan." I don't think either Frankie Avalon or Ricky Nelson were, though.)

5. Michael Jackson - No. I think he was loved for a period of time, but not as a teen idol movie star.

6. John Travolta - Yes

7. Rob Lowe - Yes, though I think others were just as much the teen idol in those "Brat Pack" days - Emilio Estevez and a number of others.

8. Johnny Depp - Yes

9. Zac Efron - In a way, but maybe it's too soon to tell?

10.Robert Pattinson - Perhaps, but he's another one about whom it might be too soon to say.

Wouldn't the Beatles be among the top? They are also leaving out a bunch of people who weren't movie teen idols, but teen idols all the same (like David Cassidy and Shaun Cassidy later). Interesting.

I found this site http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/1043... which lists what they call the top 25 teen idols having to do with music.

***By the way, I agree with Fantasy Rocks that Leonardo DiCaprio should have been on that list.

***Let's see, the Brat Pack would have been Judd Nelson and Andrew McCarthy as well as the girls like Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy. Some others around that time were Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Charlie Sheen. How about Patrick Swayze? I'd think he would have been considered a teen idol, especially after Dirty Dancing.

That's an interesting order. I'm not sure I would agree with that list especially since Robert Patterson didn't become big until last year. I agree with John Travolta though,and Johnny Depp. Not sure about Zac Efron but he does seem to be popular, so maybe he should be on the list. You know what? I'm surprised Leonardo Dicaprio isn't on there, I think he qualifies as a teen idol. :) I was puzzled, though, as to where Michael Jackson was on film.. now I know :)

***eich - Yeah, I mean Rob Patterson made it on the list when he's really only known for the movie Twilight and I think Leo definitley surpasses him as a teen idol. Truthfully I've never even heard of Troy Donahue, I just know that he appeared in one of the Godfather movies. So personally I don't think he should be on the list at all but maybe I just need to catch up on my film history..

***And ck1 I also agree with you that Michael Jackson is not really a teen idol on film, a music star maybe back in the day but not really film. And if they included music stars the Beatles should definitely be on there, no question. :) Nice link, by the way.

I don't agree with that list at all. I do agree with a couple there (Frank Sinatra and Johnny Depp) but not the entire list by a long shot.

How could they not include Liz Taylor? Where are the female's?

Shelley Fabares, Annette Funicello, Natalie Wood, Patty Duke, come on 'The Flying Nun'!!!! Sally Field.

not leif erickson lol

or david cassidy

johnny depp was HATED on 21 Jump Street

no, I competely disagree with them.

I don't know about Number 10, he is sort of overplayed.

i dont think so on frank sinatra and robert pattinson