Sophie asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Is there a cure for Grinding teeth?!!?

my little sister grinds her teeth when she's asleep!! Its really loud and unbearable... it wouldnt be so bad except we're going on holiday soon and i'll have to share a room with her!

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and what cure they can suggest??

p.s. kicking her til she wakes up and then trying desperately to sleep is NOT an option..... i already tried it and it doesnt work!!

Favorite Answer

not really a "cure" but she could get a mouth guard.(kind of like a sports mouth guard) which is probably the best thing to do since teeth grinding repairs are the most expensive things to fix in dentistry it can also be just because of age and maybe she will grow out of it. If its her baby teeth i wouldn't worry too much but if its her permanent i would get her a occulsal guard

There isn't a quick answer to this question. If she is also grinding during the day then if she can stop her self it may improve at night. The dentist can make an appliance that stops you from grinding. It is made of hard plastic, it takes a while to get used to but it does work. Not sure if you have time to organize this before you go on holiday!

Source(s): Qualified Dental Nurse 10yrs+

I don't know about a cure to stop it forever, but I do know it can cause damage to her bite and cause headaches and other such problems. My husband does this and our dentist made him a bite guard that he will wear when he is sleeping. Good Luck and have fun on your holiday.

wish i knew this as well,my girlfriend does it