STAR TREK MOVIE - Thought Spock's mum was a Vulcan?

Really enjoyed this latest Star Trek movie. Have not seen every movie brought out but somehow I just always assumed his father was Human and mother Vulcan, so I was surprised it was the opposite. I asked a friend and they also thought as I did. Also, can anyone tell me why that other alien race (soz forgot... show more Really enjoyed this latest Star Trek movie. Have not seen every movie brought out but somehow I just always assumed his father was Human and mother Vulcan, so I was surprised it was the opposite. I asked a friend and they also thought as I did.

Also, can anyone tell me why that other alien race (soz forgot their name) hated Vulcans so much, and why the Commander in particular really hated Spock? I missed that explanation.

Thanks - Live Long and Prosper!
Update: I'm sure it was in the late 60s or early 70s when I watched the original TV series - I was very young!
Update 2: Tremendous answers - I think my confusion with the mother relates to an episode or movie where Spock had to return to his species for a short time to partner with his pre-arranged chosen - Captain Kirk agreed to this, some necessity. Spock was required to fight a rival etc., and there was a Vulcan woman (queen,... show more Tremendous answers - I think my confusion with the mother relates to an episode or movie where Spock had to return to his species for a short time to partner with his pre-arranged chosen - Captain Kirk agreed to this, some necessity. Spock was required to fight a rival etc., and there was a Vulcan woman (queen, female elder, mentor) who instructed Kirk about this ritual, who I believed was Spock's mother. In fact I think Kirk took Spock's place - Spock would have died otherwise.