Is former President Joseph "Erap" Estrada eligible to be a candidate for the 2010 Philippine Elections?

Is it legal? Why is he considering to run for president again? Doesn't the constitution clearly say that an elected president cannot be re-elected?

Is he planning to gamble away the funds of the Philippines once again?

Favorite Answer

The Constitution bans former Presidents to run for re-election. I think this is clear enough in the 1987 Constitution. However, this will still be subject of debate and resolution of the Supreme Court.

But I believe, he cannot. Other than the clear legal provision, there would be an evil that needs to be avoided in the possible re-election of Joseph Estrada's re-election, for one, will rise to a bad precedence that deposed, resigned presidents can simply extend or re-extend their terms by simply resigning. Thus, they can simply get away with the "no re-election" clause of the Constitution.

Another issue is, whether Erap is entitled to it, since he did not finish his term but he resigned. His voluntary relinquishment of his post I believe, as held in the Supreme Court case, because it was held that he :"resigned" not removed, is tantamount in the recognition of his full term yet he choose not to continue. His post should be considered in full-term not interrupted because his removal was held to be intra-constitutional. I strongly want to argue that he is not entitled for a re-election as President.

• Noname

It depends upon the argument whether he was removed from office or he resigned. If the President of the Republic resigned, then he/she is not eligible to run again for presidency but if he was forcefully removed(for example, he was removed due to a coup) then that will be another thing.

The constitution will have some "holes" in it and both parties will exploit those "holes" to gain the upperhand. So the legality of his candidacy will be a matter of debate by both parties.

I don't know if it's legal or not but I saw it in the news that he'll be running again,

He'll just put this country to it's downfall the second time around

asked this question before also--->

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqeEm...

no he is not eligible to run for president again even if he was the republic would be smarter that to re-elect him.

THAT EX FELON SAYS HE IS,SO LET AS WAIT WHAT THE COURT SAYS.

yes

God forbid.

I read - no