Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

If I am not Good With Math, Should I Study Environmental Engineering In College?

I know all science-related degrees require math, but it seems as if this one would require less than most others.

If an Environmental Engineering degree DOES require a lot of math, which science degree would require the LEAST?

Favorite Answer

The guy above me does not know what he is talking about. An electronics engineer? What the hell is that? Do you mean electrical engineer? Anyways, do not listen to him. I majored in environmental engineering, and I am pursuing a MS in environmental engineering at a top school.

If you think environmental engineering does not require math, then ok, but here are some examples of classes you will have to take:

-Fluid Mechanics

-Thermondynamics

-Computer Programming, Fortran or equivalent (very difficult for non computer science majors)

-Calc I, II, III

- Mechanics of Materials

-Statics

-Dynamics

-Environmental Monitoring and Statistics

-Modeling of environmental systems, surface water, ground water etc,

-Applied Hydraulics

-Hydrology

-Wastewater treatment

-Building Energy Analysis

-Solar Energy Design

-Wetland hydrology

-Contaminant Fate & Transport

and about a dozen more

EVERY single one of these classes has advanced level math, and I would suggest that you DO NOT study Engineering if you are not ready to spend the next 4-5 years working your *** off.

Environmental Science is similar to engineering, with regards to subject and topics, but MUCH easier choice for someone who doesn't understand math like yourself.

GOOD LUCK!

PS

I think is hilarious that guy said to make you know algebra they make you learn calculus... !?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF?!?! Algebra is taught to eighth graders far before the teachings of calculus, who is this guy kidding? He probably never went to college. LOL what a loser

the first two guys are funny

Well Environmental Science is a option for a person that doesnt like math. I majored in Environmental Science ....and it only required up to Cal 1

But remember the less technical your degree ....the harder it will be to get a job....because your going against people that didnt shy away from the harder Calculus classes so think about it

As a environmental scientist verse a environmental engineer...job opportunity will come in very small amounts

Do engineering it will pay off in the long run

Besides as a environmental scientist there is no professional certification.....verse the professional engineering certification

If you dont want to do engineering because of the math classes

Do chemistry ......but some of the chemistry classes are very hard also

So just step up and be an adult ...and work hard it will pay off in the end

With my degree employers tell me ....my degree is not technical enough and that they want a engineering based degree.....its been a year since i graduated and still no job

Source(s): BS Environmental Science working on second BS in Environmental Engineering

All science degrees need math. Because science is based on mathematics. If something cannot be expressed mathematically, it is merely an opinion.

I am an electronics engineer and today my math load was pretty easy. Just taking negative numbers expressed in ten thousandths of an inch and adding to them positive numbers expressed in inches to get the positions for a series of holes in a circuit board. Friday's work required logs.

In sciences you have to be able to think logically and mathematics teaches us how to think logically. And all engineering programs, in your freshman year put you through intermediate Calculus

Environmental Engineering still requires statistics and algebra. And to make sure you know the algebra well, they make you do Calculus.