Why did Germans immigrate to America?

I have to write a 5 paragraph essay on immigration and my ansestors except i dont know anything about how my ancestors immigrated to America so i need some help about how america sees my ethnic group now and if america viewed them different then they do now. Also some famous people from my heritage, controversial issues surrounding my ethnic groups. please help this is due tommorow May 19 and is worth 500 points!!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

From1830 to1850 the unification of a German Republic was in its infancy. Life in this collection of separate states was in turmoil. Riots and revolution punctuated these two decades. It was this turmoil that set the stage for mass emigration to Texas. On the political scene, forces were at work to form a constitutionalized republic while the nobility demanded preservation of the ancient feudal forms of government. By 1830, the factionalism of the German states was complete with the smaller states fearing Austria and Prussia and wanting a national identity free of both. Some factions wanted Prussian leadership of Germany exclusive of Austria, while others wanted close connections with Austria. The unity of the collective states held by the intellectual and military classes was largely lost, but Austria maintained suzerainty over the German Confederation.

The Industrial Revolution was transforming European economy from an agricultural base to manufacturing. Factory production was rendering the craftsmen’s guilds obsolete and usurping the market for their goods. Industrial development absorbed available capitol and farm loans became unavailable. Farms were mortgaged to finance crops but their small size would not support the debt. This situation was compounded by a failure of the potato crop in 1847 and a widespread typhus epidemic that hit the farming communities.

This combination of political unrest, economic conditions, hardship and violence contributed to the exodus from Germany. “Had the German peasant…been granted the fulfillment of but one wish he probably would have asked, not for a constitution, but for something to eat.” In addition, they had been hearing the glowing reports about the Utopia of Texas. Various travelers reported, ”…in Texas cattle live for the sake of man; but in all other countries, man lives for the sake of his cattle.” “…a man can earn more in three months in Texas than he can in a whole year in Germany.” Naturalists such as Dr. Ferdinand Roemer were sent to report on Texas “with particular reference to German immigration”.

This migration to Texas was by plan, or a series of plans and political schemes. In some cases, emigration was government encouraged to eliminate the ‘free-thinkers’. The majority came to Texas from the Western and Northwestern German States. While France controlled Mexico, it was thought a large German population in Texas would deter France’s interest in expanding that direction. Another plan was for the Trinity River line being held by the Swiss and Germans. Stephen F. Austin considered settling Germans in his colony. Another planned colony was on the Nueces River. J. V. Hecke promoted a colony for Texas that duplicated the British East India Company . Prussian Baron von Bastrop established a colony in 1823 and Henri Castro landed a group of Alsatians, Swiss and Germans west of San Antonio. Frederich Ernst founded Industry in 1831. The Germania Society of New York had plans for a New Germany in Texas. The English were in favor of Texas’ independence and wanted to keep Texas a Republic as a buffer zone to stop U S expansion to the Southwest. Much of Germany’s nobility was related to England’s Royalty. Queen Victoria was half brother to Prince Leiningren and also related to Prince von Solms-Braunfels. Prince Albert was a classmate of Solms-Braunfels at Bonn. It was widely circulated that “British Gold” was subsidizing German immigration. It was hoped by some that the German seat of power could be transferred to Texas. But statehood did happen and any plans for a New Germany were spoiled.

By 1846, when Meusebach arrived on the scene, the total Anglo population of Texas was something less than 150,000 with somewhere between 20-25% being German. By the late 1840’s conditions in Germany were increasing emigration by threefold. The Verein zum Schutze deutscher Einwanderer in Texas had transported some 8,000 emigrants to Texas to settle some 2,000,000 acres of land that was misrepresented by Miller and Fisher to the Verein, fraudulently contracted, undesirably located and in the unmolested hands of the Comanche and the Verien was bankrupt. Solms-Braunfels had purchased an alternate site and settled at present day New Braunfels then returned to Germany. Meusebach purchased additional lands and founded the settlement of Fredericksburg. Meusebach had studied the philosophies of Wm. Penn and applied them towards the Indians. Within a year, he successfully negotiated a peace treaty with the Comanche. The treaty was signed in downtown Fredericksburg, thus assuring the colony’s survival. The cornerstone to the Verien’s Kirche or Society Church was set during the same celebration. This first permanent structure not only symbolized Fredericksburg’s permanence but also symbolized their repulsion of the religious controversy they left in Europe.

With the post statehood increase of German immigration to Texas and the private treaty arranged between the people

Source(s): Are you decenandt from 19th Century German immigrants?Want to know more? Y-A wouldn't let me post all I had here...E-mail me...
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Same reason Europeans from other countries came to america. And the same reason people from countries all over the world come to america.

• T
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

To escape a turmoil in their country. People tried to overthrow the German govt so they ran away

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I guess for the same reason every one else did "OPPORTUNITY".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.