Does a DVI cable come in different sizes?

I have a mitsubishi tv and I have to get a dvi cable, for my digital cable box to hook up to the HDMI cable that came with the television, but I was wondering should I look for different sizes or just grab one to hook it up ? And what does DVI stand for ?

I got this tv for a gift for hubby who is Iraq, but the tv is stressing me out !

Best Answer

If you can use the HDMI connection on the TV and also on the cable box.

As well as not having to worry about the audio, you will also not have any HDCP (high def copy protection) issues.

HDCP is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across various cables and connections, even if such copying would be permitted by fair use laws. Each device handshakes with the other and then passes an encryption key to say that it is ok to display or play the signal. It does this for every frame, typically 30 times per second. If you are having problems with blank audio or video it is more than likely that one of your devices does not support HDCP.

If you want to know more about the HDMI interface and HDMI cables you can download the free 21 page ebook "HDMI Demystified" at the following link.

http://www.hdmisystems.com/

Source(s): Industry Insider
  • jf

If your Cable Box and your TV both have HDMI, why not go with HDMI? That would be simpler. Just go HDMI to HDMI and voila you are done. That can carry both audio and video across the same cable. No fuss, no muss.

If you go with a DVI to HDMI cable, then you have to also connect audio separately. While HDMI can do both video and audio, DVI can not. So as one side of the equation is DVI, then you're stuck, it can only do video, no audio.

If you get a cable that is rated as DVI-I to HDMI then you're set. That can handle both digital and analog versions of the DVI type. So regardless of what kind of DVI port is on your equipment it will do the trick.

DVI: Digital Visual Interface (not to be confused with Digital Video Interface)

There are mini-DVI cables; these are used primarily by Apple computers. There's also DVI-D (which carries digital only) and DVI-I (which can carry analog signals as well as digital). When in doubt, go with a DVI-D cable. It would probably say if it was mini-DVI.