Book suggestions...unique fiction, science fiction?

I'm looking for really unique books. I really like "weird" science fiction-y type books. However i don't care for stories about dragons, wizards, robots or anything common in the fiction genre (unless you seriously know a really UNIQUE kind that is like no other) I don't want to read about vampires (i've had my share of vamp. books with twilight). Generally, just books with a really unique plot line and preferably a page turner. I'm 17 so no kiddie books, no teeny books (all of them are too similar) just intesely amazing books. I have not read very many books since going to high school, but now i'm trying to fit in time to read more often.

Books I liked:

The Giver

The Host

Twilight Saga

City of Ember

Promise Not To Tell

Coraline

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Have you tried the Xanth books by Piers Anthony.

Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series about a person that can talk to book characters in Jane Eyre.

The Pern books by Anne McCaffrey. Yes they have dragons but it is a unique series. Some good romance.

• 1 decade ago

You can try some of the following books. I don't know how unique you would consider them, but I great enjoyed them, and found them different from many of the mainstream types of books:

Max Barry - Jennifer Government, Syrup

Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas, Watchers and many more

Charles Stross - Glasshouse, The Merchant Princes Series

John Twelve Hawks - The Traveller

Joe Haldeman - The Forever War

Anne McCaffrey - Catteni Series (Freedom's Landing, Freedom's Choice, Freedom's Challenge, Freedom's Ransom)

SL Viehl - Blade Dancer, Stardoc series

Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Dayton Ward - The Last World War

SM Stirling - Islands in the Sea of Time and Dies the Fire (the first books of two related series), The Sky People, The Peshawar Lancers, Conquistador

Harry Turtledove - Guns of the South, Worldwar series, Crosstime Traffic Series and many more

Source(s): A listing of titles and series order can be found at: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
  • 1 decade ago

If you want some really unique science fiction I suggest the "humorous" genre as a great change of pace.

In Robert Lynn Asprin's "Phule's Company", a rich human becomes the leader of a mercenary company of aliens.

In his "Myth" g with "Another Fine Myth", an inter-dimensionall setting finds a human magician's apprentice from Klah (hence he is a Klahd) partner's up with a "Deveel" from "Perv" (he is a Pervect not a Pervert).

The "Stainless Steel Rat" series by Harry Harrison is the great anti-establishment hero/thief.

Trust me you will enjoy these books.

• 1 decade ago

hmm... I know you said no vampires, but Dracula is actually very good. At least I enjoyed it! It's one of my favorites. It's also very different from the Twilight books. The Hobbit is fun and not too long or serious. I've also heard (from an avid reader) that The Da Vinci Code is actually a good suspenseful book, even though it's based on weird religious ideas.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Kushiel's Dart~Jacqueline Carey

Mature content. It's set up in an alternate version of France founded by the son of Yeshua and the Magdalene along with 7 fallen angels.

Archangel~Sharon Shinn

Angels watch over the people of Samaria by singing to their god Jovah.

Summers at Castle Auburn~Sharon Shinn

A coming of age novel set in medieval times and with the enslaved Fay.

Meredith Gentry~Laurell K. Hamilton

Very mature content. Meredith is the daughter of one Unseelie Court. If she wants the throne she has to become pregnant before her cousin Cel does...all the while fighting off attempts at her life.

• 1 decade ago

Jonathan Stange and Mr Norwell by Susannah Clarke is a very interesting and original book. It is about two magicians who have a rivalry. The magic actually happens, and there are fascinating twists and turns.

• 1 decade ago

Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett – historical fiction

Shogun, by James Clavell – historical fiction

Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy - thriller

Pawn of Prophecy, by David Eddings – first of the Belgariad - fantasy

Destiny’s Road, by Larry Niven – sci-fi

Footfall, by Larry Niven – sci-fi

Inferno, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell – sci-fi

Mote in God’s Eye and The Gripping Hand, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell – sci-fi

A Forest of Stars, by Kevin Anderson – first of the Saga of the Seven Suns – sci-fi

Crystal Shard, by RA Salvatore – First of the Drizzt Saga - fantasy

Watchers, by Dean Koontz - thriller

Lightning, by Dean Koontz - thriller

From the Corner of His Eye, by Dean Koontz - thriller

Band of Brothers, by Stephen Ambrose - historical

Tarot, by Piers Anthony - fantasy

Captain Nemo, by Kevin Anderson – sci-fi

Prey, by Michael Crichton - thriller

Timeline, by Michael Crichton - thriller

Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara - historical

Gods and Generals, by Jeff Shaara - historical

Last Full Measure, by Jeff Shaara – historical

A Time to Kill, by John Grisham – thriller

The Firm, by John Grisham - thriller

All are great reads.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jurassic Park, Timeline, or Congo, all by Michael Crichton.

• 1 decade ago

well i would say maybe the warriors books

• 1 decade ago

Read 'Aghast' , 'Black Hole' , 'Zero' on

http://www.englishnovels.net

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.