BUYING COMPUTER NEED HELP!!?

im buying a computer .. can somebody tell me if this is a good build? and if everything is compatable?

- AMD Phenom II X3 710 Triple Core Processor Socket AM3 2.6GHZ 7.5MB Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty

- Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P ATX AM3 AMD790X DDR2 CrossFireX 2PCI-E 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN Motherboard

- LG 16X DVD-ROM Drive Internal SATA OEM

- OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit

- EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GT 55NM 600MHZ 512MB 1.8GHZ 256BIT GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

- ASUS VH202T 20IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1600X900 20000:1 5ms VGA DVI Speakers

- Xion Solaris Silver ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT 450W W/ Blue 80MM LED Fan & Window

- OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135MM Fan 80PLUS Power Supply

any help would really be appreciated!

im on a budget of a grand ...

is the video card i currently have good for my budget?

• Aleks
    Favorite Answer

Everything in your build is compatible.

I'd replace the DVD ROM with DVD RW.

The speakers built in into the monitor usually suck. It's ok if you're going to use headset with mic, but you'll need to get speakers if you want to watch movies and enjoy music without the headphones.

Don't forget 64 bit Operating System!

It would be nice if you posted the prices of the components.

Oh, and another thing - if you don't require CUDA then you're better off with AMD/ATI videocard. Something like 4770 or anything in 48xx series will be good. I'm saying that because your motherboard is capable of Crossfire and you'll be able to add another AMD/ATI videocard if you want.

So 9800 GT is about $120 regular price and around $100 on sale. AMD 4770 is around $110 regular price and it is some faster/have lower power consumption.

I need CUDA for Seti@home so I stick with Nvidia. 9800GT plays Left 4 Dead in all High settings with 4xAA @ 1900x1200

Usually it doesn't matter if you have 60 or 200 fps. For me upgrading my mouse pad actually helped my accuracy better then upgrading the videocard :)

I agree with everyone why a 9800gt change boards or get a 4850 $150 older card yes but still outperforms a 9800gt. or a 4870 around $200 but I knew your on a budget.

THE BIG PROBLEM I HAVE IS I HATE THE CASE

NO NO just joking the cooling options I hate 80mm fans are loud and out of style and your OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W PSU won't work because the 135mm fan would be throwing your hot air up in the case top panel . your top panel would be a blockade trapping in all your heat you need a case with a top exhaust fan or a new PSU with a small 80mm or 100mm fan blowing out the rear of your power supply

I would get a antec 300 $58.95 free shipping a hell alot better cooling options room to grow with and a name you can trust and top 140mm tri cool fan is perfect for your powersupply.great customer reviews

only con is I can see is no side window

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

would get a logitec or creative speakers in the long run just get some cheapy radio shack 2.1 par for like $20 bucks

glad I can help you 3 mins of my time could save you plenty of time and pain lol message me if you have nay issues

Looks fine.

Make sure you pick up some Arctic Silver thermal paste. And also, with the case, see if you can get the same case without the added power supply (it adds weight and price), since you plan to use a 700w PSU instead.

Lastly, I might suggest exchanging the Nvidia 9800GT for an ATI 4870. Packs the same amount of power, if not more, plus it's cheaper and will fit in with your AMD processor.

Have fun and good luck!

@ John above me, saying "Macs suck" is ridiculous. Macs run as well as, if not better than, the majority of PCs on the market.

• JeR

What OS are you planning to install? Window Vista, none less than Ultimate. or wait until Windows 7.

I see you use AMD procesor, use ATI video. Since AMD makes ATI so the CPU and video will match up better.

For few more bucks I want increase the size of hard drive. Or add other one, if you like use your computer to watch movies. I am running 4 drives on my system with two DVD-RW with light scribe.

I run two screens, most newer cards can support two. The second monitor can show your emails, other web site, and just more screen area, do not use clone, you want duel.

Source(s): Playing with computers over 30 years.

ok macs are for noobs. because 90% of the people who own macs dont know how to use a real computer, macs are child friendly in my opinion, + they cant play most games, yes they have boot camp but because of how it works some games will run slightly slower.

get a SLI compatible motherboard, crossfire is for ATI cards not nvidia.

other then that looks awesome. if you want to play games at that resolution monitor, id get a second 9800gt (make sure its the exact same one or you can have issues)

you should be able to play most games on high if you dont run at 1600x900 (FYI game requirements are based off a 1024x786 resolution)

Source(s): 11 years PC experience

Well the Figures are staggering but I guess you will learn.

I have a gateway 350 hard drive 4gb with windows 98 but I just upgraded 2001 to windows millennium edition. RAM 64mb DVD ROM get one like I did.

I got my wholesale I will not tell the price too many people will get jealous.

Good luck

All of your components are compatible.

You have yourself a Decent build on a Budget. Not sure why you opted for an nVidia Graphics card on a AMD Chipset (Crossfire)...ATI and AMD are the same company now...If you go with ATI you will be able to Enable Crossfire....however a single nVidia card will technically work.

I bought mine on ebay- a new Dell with full warenty for 1/2 their web price.

Looks good to me. Everything should work fine together. Not a bad build. Hope you like it!

Not a bad build at all, go for it.