Which would you chose? Living in a D.C. or living in a city that is 30 minutes from Nashville?

Which would you guys recommend? Living in a small city (Gallatin) and be within 30 minutes of Nashville, TN or living in Washington, D.C.?

The D.C. job that I'm offered would pay starting out at $35K a year (which is not much), but has the potential to go all the way up to $79K, but this will take about 6 - 7 years. The Gallatin position would start out at $29K and the most you can make at that position would be $40K.

So which would you chose? I'm the kind of person that loves sports, so D.C. would seem like the Ideal choice. Of course, things are more expensive in bigger cities.

Favorite Answer

I've lived in both places. Edge goes to Nashville. I don't like Gallatin though -- I'd chose one of the other suburbs.

D.C. has a very high cost of living (you would be borderline poverty if you lived by yourself in the District) whereas Nashville is relatively inexpensive. Also, people are nicer in Nashville and it is less of a "rat race." You can venture off to the mountains or parks on the weekends and not feel stuck in the city as you would in D.C.

Also, if you love sports, Nashville might be better too. We have the Titans, Predators, and many other amateur teams. You can find plenty of sports action here. D.C. will have lots as well. But, you have to deal with ridiculous traffic and difficulty attending games.

D.C. is good if you like big city living, more restaurants, and all the political atmosphere that comes along with DC. Also, DC residents tend to network and get a better chance at government-type jobs. I got tired of DC, the weather (cold winters), the crowd, and the expense ($2k a month for a small 1 bedroom). Also, it is known for high taxes, including an income tax (TN, by contrast, has no state income taxes). Check out how much it costs just to register your car (by the way, ditch the car if you move there).

Live with roommates! Having an appt alone gets lonely. Half an hour is not really all that bad. Especially in a big city, I wouldn't complain about 1/2 an hour. If you live in a big city, use the subway, or some type of transport on rails....thats usually faster than driving. Don't take a bus though, that's brutal if you have a long ways to go.

There are many good and bad points about both places. I would make my decision based on one criteria. If there ever is a terrorist attack, where they get their hands on a nuclear weapon, what city do you think they are going to pick first on their list. Since I am extremely cautious I'm picking Gallatin.

I would rather live near nashville. That's because I have been to both locations and I had a much better time there.