Scion tC vs. Volkswagen Jetta?

I'm buying a car this week. I've narrowed it down to 2 cars. Now I can't decide for the life of me.

My dad's friend is selling a 2004 VW Jetta GLI VR6 for $9,000. It has 74k miles on it, and it will need a clutch and tires soon. The paint/body is IMMACULATE. This car was very well taken care of.

Or, my neighbor is selling a 2007 Scion tC for $9,000 also. It has 20k miles on it, is still under warranty, but it has quite a few scratches/dings in the paint. Some are pretty deep and will need to be re-painted. It also needs tires.

Externally, I like the looks of the Jetta better. But I've heard that VW's aren't great in terms of reliability. Is this true? Have any 2004 Jetta owners out there experienced problems with VW's quality? I've also heard that repairs/maintenance can be quite pricey.

The Scion is a Toyota, so I know reliability will be good and the repairs/maintenance will be cheaper in the long run. And it's 3 years newer and has 50k less miles than the Jetta.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

Ok first of all, car makes are not always consistent and it depends on the model, year, and individual vehicle. If you know your dad's friend well and trust that the car is not a lemon and only appealing because of its appearance, thats good.

The Scion personally sounds a lot cooler to me, but I am a celica owner so i am probably biased haha...the warranty and mileage all=good but to fix the outside and replace the tires your looking at easily $1,000. That might seem like a lot but if the car is reliable and everything else is good then you might be saving money in the long run with this choice...

You never know, there might be a reason why the jetta is in such pristine condition. Both have positives and negatives. Do you want a european car or an asian import? Thats gonna be a main factor now since it's fairly equal otherwise.

Get the Scion. At 74K miles the VW will soon need suspension work (CV joints or half shafts; struts; tie rod ends etc) The scion will have about 2 or 3 years (Based on 15K to 20k miles a year) to go before needing the same things. Who cares about the outside's looks ? Are you trying to impress people or have a good car ? When you are driving the car you can't see the outside anyway. So, more important would be reliability and the looks/comfort INSIDE.

If you can live with the exterior flaws of the tC that is the better buy.

I own a 2004 Jetta GLI and it's a great car, never had any problems with it and I paid a lot less than $9000 for it. It drives great, has lots of power and it's a solid car. I wouldn't pay $9K for a car that needs tires and a clutch.

The tC is small and not very performance oriented. But it has low miles and a warranty.

Scion tC's are great cars, but the thing is.. they're normally around 17-20,000$ so.. if you think about it.. 9,000 is cheap for a barely 2 yr old car.. check out the engine and everything if you decide to get that car. on another note. the Jetta is a great car, my friend has one, it is very reliable. Any car is expensive to fix, but if the engine and everything is running properly, you shouldn't worry about that right now, and if it happens, it probably wont happen often. I would say go for the Scion tC. But it's up to you.

My friend had an 04 Jetta and hated it. There was a lot of maintenance and it was costly. He ended up getting rid of it about 3 years after he got it. I currently have a tC and I love it! I don't have any problems with it and it's fun to drive.

• cory m

The TC only has 161 horse power but also has a timing chain instead of the belt so you would not have to replace that every 60k. Honestly for you i would go with the TC because its a toyota and will run forever (my old tercel had over 260k and still got great mileage and never broke down on me) But its all up to you.

Source(s): I work at Toyota in Auburn, WA.

Well im not a Jetta owner (used to want one..but not anymore)..but a friend of mine is..and for like 2 years it seemed like her car was in the shop every other month for recalls and stupid things going wrong...

Jetta's made before 2007 suck.

i suggest getting a tc looks way better and more reliable