Does the Confederate Flag offend you?

This question is open to anyone; African American, Southern or otherwise. I am white, though much of my family is biracial. I'm always bothered when I see the flag displayed. To me it is not a symbol of equality or unity; but rather of prejudice and division. I know many Southerns see this differently, and to them it is just a part of their heritage. What do you think?

• Kewi
    Best Answer

I am originally from the south, so to me it is not offensive . it's more of a heritage thing..

but I now live in Wisconsin and many of my "redneck" friends like to sport the flag around their place, on their trucks, etc.

they are racist, so even though they are my friends- i still think they are the ones who give it a bad connotation

I see it as a piece of history, much like I would view any other flag that flew over the states at any point in time. African Americans don't want to forget that that era happened and they shouldn't. It's part of their history, but so is the flag, regardless of what some people seem to think it means, it's just a flag that flew over the Southern states at a critical point in the growth and development of this country as we know it now. Anyone that uses it for the purpose of showing their prejudice is idiot. I think it's a beautiful flag and if I wasn't fearful of offending people like you, I would display one myself. Unfortunately, I know it's frowned upon by many. I just wish people would see it for it's historical value and not as something that represented slavery and a time in our history that we should be ashamed to admit being connected........

I'm no Southerner, but I do take notice when I see that flag. It's not so much offensive as pathetic. It's a relic from the Civil War era of an idea that got crushed and of a confederation that failed miserably. The Civil War is over...and the South lost, anyway! It's just stupid.

I don't think people use it to symbolize heritage so much as they use it to symbolize certain values.

Ok, I'm from Georgia. True blue white southern girl. Grew up on a dirt road southern! Nothing says I'm racist quite like the confederate flag. Period. That's my opinion. I have yet to meet a white person who waves this flag that doesn't have some biased against African Americans.

"Grow up, be an adult.It is only a piece of cloth."

And the swastika is only a piece of cloth. A $100 bill is only a piece of paper. But both symbolize something and are seen for what they represent, not for what they physically are. Personally I do not like that flag either. It symbolizes a very dark period in our country's history. Some southerners still haven't gotten over it.

you failed to understand history. not much more than a hundred years ago the confederated stats of America was a sovereign nation controlling half of the civilized lands of what now is the united states. it represents a PEOPLE. Turks an Kurds Caucasus and Russia Ireland and England. the potential for offense comes form those who do not understand this not from those who continue to identify with that people. tmm

not at all. its a very cool looking flag and most of the people whom it represented were generally decent people who had a difference in ideology.

yes slavery is wrong we all know that and now it is abolished but the south is back in the union and its flag is as important to the country's history as any current state flag. and it now represents a new set of values, that generally dont involve racial hatred.

.

but if thats all this is about then any flag stnds for the message " we are the best look at us" and it will be bound to elicit feelings of hate from others.on the basis of racial prejudice

the stars and stripes gets burned often enough to prove that point

No, because I know it is more of a symbol of the importance of state sovereignty as opposed to a racist symbol. That being said, I can understand why other people particularly African Americans would see it differently.

Source(s): Northerner

No, it's just a flag. If you're a country, you have a flag, and that was their flag.

The only people who even use it as a symbol are redneck idiots and everyone should just ignore them.

Yes. It is very offensive. The flag of a racist union that supported slavery and creulty. I hate the flag with a passion and would never display it. Whoever does is obviously ignorant of its meaning.