Friend in Hospital, internal bleeding, liver problems, what is wrong?

My friend is in the hospital in critical condition for the past three days. He has a damaged liver and is bleeding internally. They performed an endoscopy and there is no esophageal tear, and they are doing a blood scan today. Here is his brief history

He is a 28 yr old white male, He was in the Army and hurt his knee, they were giving him different types of pain pills and they counter-acted each other and damaged his stomach and liver. After he was discharged he has been divorced and battling and alcohol problem and attending regular AA meetings. (my guess is he was drinking again and was not supposed to be). The he was hospitalized he called me earlier in the day and told me his blood pressure was very high and he needed to rest every ten minutes and that he was going home to do so, His mother came home to find him frantic around the house and hallucinating about green paint all over the walls and he was jaundiced, so she immediately brought him to the emergency room. He had severe blood loss and the doctors cannot find where he is bleeding yet, he keeps needing to recieve blood.

I know this is a liver problem, but my question is, whatever it is, can it be fixed?????? He has been my best friend for 15 years and I'm worried sick about him.

Favorite Answer

It sounds like your friend has cirrhosis from alcohol abuse. Internal bleeding is a common complication of cirrhosis. Everyone that has cirrhosis runs a high risk of internal bleeding due to unwanted veins that form called varices.

With cirrhosis, blood flow through the main portal vein leading to the liver slows down. Blood from the intestines and spleen backs up into blood vessels in the stomach and esophagus. These unwanted blood vessels become enlarged because they are not meant to carry this much blood. The enlarged blood vessels, called varices, have thin walls and carry high pressure. They can leak and even burst which can be a serious internal bleeding problem that needs immediate medical attention.

There is a procedure called banding that can be done to get rid of these unwanted veins. It's a simple procedure in which they do an endoscopy to find these veins, and then they tie what looks like little rubber bands around them. In a few days, the varice will just die and fall off along with the rubber band. Then it is all digested just like food through the stomach. This is done as an outpatient procedure.

I had cirrhosis and had this banding done to me a number of times. My doctors insisted I get checked every 3 months at first to get mine banded if needed. This was done through endoscopy. After they got the initial ones banded, then my exams went to every 6 months until I received a liver transplant. Doing this takes away the risk of any internal bleeding very much. It's better to do it this way instead of suddenly hemorrhaging internally.

Sometimes it's tricky to find out where the bleeding can be coming from. I'm not saying this is the problem with your friend, but suggesting it could be. As far as your friend hallucinating, that could be from the loss of blood. But cirrhosis also can cause a person to hallucinate when they get something called encephalopathy. With cirrhosis, the body is not able to get rid of ammonia like it should. This can cause a build up of ammonia which can cause a person to be confused, hallucinate, or even become violent and just not themselves. Lactulose helps get rid of ammonia. Anyone with cirrhosis usually has to take this medication for high ammonia. It needs treated when it happens because if left untreated, it can lead to coma.

Yes, your friend can be treated for his bleeding and survive. They will have to find the source and fix it. Yes, it can be fixed once they find it. People with cirrhosis usually go through multiple hospital visits with various problems that present themselves as the disease progresses. In the early stages of cirrhosis, if the person stops drinking, they can get well again even though the liver damage will be permanent. A person can function quite well as long as the liver is not damaged too much. If the disease progresses to the later stage, then nothing will stop its progression and only a liver transplant will save your life. Hope this helps you some.

Source(s): I had cirrhosis and a liver transplant.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

He is a 28 yr old white male, He was in the...

Source(s): friend hospital internal bleeding liver problems wrong: https://tr.im/lsMDH

Liver failure occurs when large parts of the liver become damaged beyond repair and the liver is no longer able to function.

Liver failure is a life-threatening condition that demands urgent medical care. Most often, liver failure occurs gradually and over many years

Here are some suggestions Liver Failure Treated

If detected early enough, acute liver failure caused by an overdose of acetaminophen can sometimes be treated and its effects reversed. Likewise, if a virus causes liver failure, supportive care can be given at a hospital to treat the symptoms until the virus runs its course. In these cases, the liver will sometimes recover on its own.

Researchers have found numerous ways to improvise the action of common home remedies & developed proven systems to enhance your liver with a guarantee.Find here how people cured fatty liver at:http://adola.net/go/fattyliver-bible/

Have a good health!

• Amy M

It almost sounds like cirrhosis of the liver but you probably already know that. My dad died of that but he drank all his life and died when he was in his 50's. He just didnt have enough liver left for it to heal. But your friend probably does. I think even if you have 10-15% of good liver left you can survive and it can heal itself. But, I dont know why your friend is bleeding internally. That could be something else. I dont know. Hope fully he is not coughing up blood. That could be bad. It could possibly be cancer. But then again I am not a doctor. I really hope everything turns out ok.

• Heryun

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axpmD

Hi there, I have lived in a number 13 house for the last 21 years and believe me this little house has kept me and my family safe and secure for the whole of that time. Yes, we have had periods of 'bad' luck, including: a son that would 'die' whenever he went to sleep as a baby, another son who got a blood condition which caused major internal bleeding (doctors expected coma then death), a third son that went into acute kidney failure (should by rights be dead as bp should have caused cardiac arrest), periods of unemployment for my husband due to redundances, a business venture that went bottoms up literally overnight due to ill health, own mother died unexpectedly, mother in law died of secondary cancer when no one even knew she had primary cancer (her diagnosis was 4 weeks following my mum's death, her death was 9 months later), had the car stolen, had dog put to sleep then 12 months later other dog diagnosed with liver disease and kidney failure and given 3 to 5 days to live (still got her now and it is nearly 2 years later, and yes she is happy and content), shall I go on? What I am trying to say is that bad luck happens to everyone at some point or another and yes, sometimes it seems like it is one thing after another thing that goes wrong, however that is not to say your door number has much to do with it. Everytime something goes wrong here, at least I know that I have the safety and security of my 4 walls to get my head around stuff. The problem is that when you experience something negative, you start to expect more negativity to come your way, when it does it confirms to you that life was better before you moved, took on that job, painted the living room that colour etc. What you don't realise is that you are giving out the negative energy and as like attracts like, that is what you are getting back. Try thinking more positively, give out positive vibes, don't allow any negativity in your home, don't mix with negative people and see the energy change. Yes, it was bad news that your son got run down with a taxi, however he has your number 13 home to come back to and recouperate. Yes, it is sad that both the dog and cat died within a couple of months of each other, however this opens your home to another animal that may desperately need a loving warm place to call home. Don't think of your home as an unlucky place to be, think of it with love, laugh, smile and feel secure in there and don't forget to occasionally say thank you to it for providing you with a place of refuge, safety and warmth when you need it the most. After all, how many other friends would do that for you without question? I wish you and your family a lifetime of happiness and rainbows. If you should want to talk anytime I can be contacted via my profile. Keep smiling. (((Hugs))) :-)

Big Pharma Companies Hate This...

Hello, my name is Ken Drew...

In this short and controversial health exposé, I’m going reveal the one amazing little secret, long suppressed by Big Pharma, that will bulletproof your body against the scary illnesses like Cancer, Heart disease, Diabetes, Alzheimer's, Arthritis and more....and its something that you can do right now in your home.

Without ever popping a single pill, getting any dreaded needle, prescriptions of any kind. Even sidestepping alternative therapies that never seem to work. Ineffective supplements that waste time and frustrate you to no end. Not to mention tear a hole in your wallet...

...Or even put you in an early grave.

Think of how you felt today - http://reversediseasetoday.info/tips/young-again-3...

• Laura

Forget anything you have ever been told about Diabetes. And get this - it has nothing to do with insulin, exercise, diet or anything else you've heard in the past. It's all based on latest breakthrough research that Big Pharma is going Stir Crazy to hide from you. Visit here : https://tinyurl.im/aH22a to find out what all the fuss is about.

It's likely you're eating too fast. Try holding a conversation while having a meal so you're certainly not gulping down more than you need to feel full.

Include one to two alcohol refreshments daily instead of more

• Daniel

1

Source(s): High Blood Pression Remedy http://latis.info/LowerBloodPressure/?X39y