Best place to live in the Phoenix, Arizona Metropolitan area?

I would like to know what are the best places in the Phoenix metro area to live? I want to be within 20-25 minutes from downtown Phoenix. I would also like to live in an area that is safe and still offers a lot to do.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best Answer

Gilbert is nice, new, and ultra safe. However, Scottsdale is beautiful and urban, but more expensive.

Metro Center is not considered Glendale. Most of Peoria is ghetto and old, and south Phoenix is starts south of Buckeye Road. North of Bell from 83rd to about 67th avenue would be good. North Phoenix around the 101 loop (both sides of 1-17) Biltmore, Camelback area...

Avondale isn't bad.. I am from the west side, though Garden Lakes has a lot of drop houses. I've lived in Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Arcadia and far west valley. I like the east valley better- the Tempe/Gilbert area is nice.

Source(s): I'm a native Zonie.
  • jenna

I personally think Peoria is the best/safest area- anywhere around 75th Ave and Bell. There are TONS of restaurants and shops and malls and things to do in that area and it feels very safe compared to other areas in the valley. North Central phoenix/Paradise Valley around Bell and 44th street is also good but less restaurants and things.

Areas definitely to avoid are south phoenix (anywhere south of Glendale Ave), Avondale, most of Glendale (near Metro mall)

Source(s): live here
  • pepper

That depends on your income, how much you are willing to part with for mortgage or rent, and where you plan to work. This is the 5th largest metropolitan area in the US and we have the rush hour traffic to show for it - live close to work. If money is no object then I'd vote for the Biltmore area - beautiful!

Screw those other answers - Scottsdale is clearly the best and yes, there are readily affordable areas there as well.

Source(s): Lived there.

Tempe for college

Surprise for cheap

Gilbert for family

Paradise Valley for wealthy

32nd st and McDowell for illegals

Mesa for LDS

Happy Valley for dirt bikes

Sunnyslope for meth

southside Phoenix where the drug dealers sell PCP

GILBERT