Is surgeon held responsible to inform patient of all options available for prostate removal?

My surgeon did not inform me of the latest technologically advanced procedures of prostate removal. Had he done so I would have elected to go with a much less invasive robotic procedure rather than the radical procedure he performed which left me incontinent and impotent. I feel he should have informed me of all options available to me even though he was not able to perform them which meant I would likely go elsewhere to seek treatment and he would lose my business.

Favorite Answer

I have prostate cancer. I first went to a urologist who did the biopsy. He told me that he is a surgeon and has a bias toward surgery. He gave me a book to read on PC and I did a lot of reading online. I also started going to a local PC support group.

In the end I opted for Brachy therapy. These are radioactive seed implants. I am happy with the outcome. No side effects and I was back at work in 2 days. It's been 5 months and everything is working fine.

Ultimately you are responsible. What did you do to get informed? Did you go to get a second opinion from another doctor?

In short, no, he's not. He'll let you know about the procedures that he knows, is qualified to do, feels confident in, and is able to do. He'll also let you know what procedures the clinic/hospital is capable of doing, with the equipment and supplies that they have available to them.

His responsibility is to make sure that you give informed consent to the procedure, which includes making sure you know the potential risks vs potential benefits of the procedure, and any potential side effects. I am sorry to hear that you have been left incontinent and impotent, but I bet your family's happy you had the surgery at all!

It is his job to inform you of the procedures HE uses, not what any other surgeon may use, that is your responsibility to do the research. If you were referred to the surgeon, then really it's your GP's fault for not telling you the options avalable to you.