Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

U.S. Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano supports the dream act how about you?

The Dream Act has failed in the four previous Congresses, getting as far as House approval nearly two years ago. But now, with the Obama Administration announcing plans to talk about immigration reform this year combined with a strengthened Democratic congressional majority, supporters say the bill stands a good chance of passing. As a senator, Obama was a cosponsor in 2007.

The bill continues to gain national and local support. In April, the College Board -- a nonprofit group composed of more than 5,000 member schools and other educational organizations -- announced its support of the Dream Act. In the report "Young Lives on Hold: The College Dreams of Undocumented Students," the College Board notes that the Dream Act would allow 360,000 undocumented high school graduates to attend college and legalize their immigration status. The organization also notes that the act would provide incentives for another 715,000 youngsters between the ages of 5 and 17 to finish high school and pursue post-secondary education. Every year, approximately 65,000 undocumented students graduate from high school, only 5 to 10 percent of them attend college, according to the report.

Proponents of the Dream Act also highlight its potential as an economic stimulus package. It would strengthen the economy by creating a more educated work force and it would boost overall school revenues by bringing in tuition from students who otherwise would not be able to attend college, advocates say. The College Board report underscores that not allowing undocumented students the chance to pursue higher education adds up to a significant amount of "wasted talent" that "imposes economic and emotional costs" on students themselves and on U.S. society as a whole.

Earlier this month Janet Napolitano said she supported the Dream Act as the governor of Arizona, and she supports it now -- as secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009/05/holding-out...

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Phil
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I believe it is mere justice to naturalize or provide a path to citizenship for those who have been, through no fault of their own, made effectively Americans and grown up essentially alien from their homeland. We could argue about the exact criteria but I would say anyone who came here as a minor and spent more than five years here immediately prior to their 16th birthday would be arguably covered. I see too many people who have been here from the age of 1, 2, 5 years old and who have no ability to regularize themselves. They should not suffer for their parent's misdeeds/

I would be OK with a prohibition againt them being able to sponsor their parents, at least for an extended period; the parents did offend and while I think we need to resolve all of our immigration issues this is one piece that doesn't seem to be hard to resolve.

• 1 decade ago

I support it and hope it passes this year. This doesnt benefit criminals. Its helping students be productive towards this country. They were raised here and know nothing else but America. Most of this kids didnt assimilate because in reality they were raised as americans. You as adults may be racist and judgemental towards this subject but in reality your kids are their peers. They are good students and some are valedictorians worthy of many scholarship, which ofcourse they dont take. And even with the country against them they work hard and safe money so they can go to school. They hope and dream for the best. So even when people are yelling in their faces that their not worth it they still push on and study because they know that someday they will prove their worth.

• DAR
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No. Not until it is legalization without possibility of citizenship (which includes chain migration for the parents that brought them across), and it should only be limited to those who came young, came more than 6 years ago when the debate started, and are still young -- not to age 35 like the last version I saw.

Subsidies bring illegal immigrants and bills like this would bring even more.

I'm not for vengeance on children, but I'm not for encouraging more either. We already paid their education in grades K through 12 at $10,000 per year per child. We don't owe them anything, and they would get in schools and financial aid before our own kids if only because their parents' income was 'off the record.' None of this is fair.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

An illegal alien is 8 times more likely to commit a "serious" felony (rape, murder, child molestation, armed robbery, etc.) than to get a college degree. These figures are based on first generation LEGAL immigrants rate for college degrees vs illegal alien rates for serious felonies. If an age factor is added in it becomes an even greater chance of crime!

If someone beats a child to death what reward should his children get? What about a rapist? Murderer? If you reward the children of one criminal shouldn't you be fair and reward all the children of criminals?

Why do you believe that the US citizen should pay for the crimes of criminals?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 cee
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

the dream act would be a nightmare for "real" Americans. Kids need to learn there are consequences to actions and instead of putting blame on America and Americans, they need to look at who is at fault, their parents. It's not America and it's tax payers job to take care of every kid in the entire world that want's to go to school.

• 4 years ago

How can any American feel secure with this chicken s#it woman in charge. Its just another example of Obama looking for the most anti-Americans he can find to put in his cabinet.

• 1 decade ago

Just think, if trashy lazy losers would respect our immigration laws, there would be no need for the dream act. But we all can't be winners I guess.

BTW, you'd be hard pressed to get many non-racist educated people to use that biased crap website you cited for much factual info anyway. Sorry.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know anyone personally that supports the dream act. And it will be fought to the bitter end when and if they try to enact this legislation. Americans are sick and tired of paying for these invaders.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just like Janet Napolitano and many other Americans throughout the US.....I DO TO! This gives a chance for immigrant children that had no say in being here illegally to have a positive outlook in our nation, and then continue to contribute to it even more after a further education. If we send them all back to their home countries, it would be devastating to all the teachers that put their hard work in educating them, and we would only send them back with the knowledge they gained here to put that knowledge to work at another country, not ours!

http://americasvoiceonline.org/page/speakout/Daret...

Stand up for the Dream Act

Each year about 65,000 U.S.-raised students, who would qualify for a status-adjustment under the DREAM Act, graduate from high school with zero prospects for the future.

These include honor roll students, star athletes, talented artists, homecoming queens, and aspiring teachers, doctors, and U.S. soldiers. They are young people who have lived in the U.S. for most of their lives and desire only to give back to this country – their home- through hard work, service, and dedication.

Even though they were brought to the U.S. years ago as children, they face unique barriers to higher education, are unable to work legally in the U.S., and often live in constant fear of arrest and deportation by immigration authorities.

Our immigration law currently has no mechanism to consider the special circumstances of such students, but the DREAM Act would eliminate this flaw. Therefore, it is a vital part of real, comprehensive immigration reform.

Please send a fax now in support of the DREAM Act!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm generally with the majority of decent hard working Americans that don't support the dream act.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.