my husband keeps wanting a divorce?

we have 5 kids between us but none together. Only 1 at home. I haven't worked in 10 years and wasn't working when we met and married yet I pay more than my half for bills and stuff with student loans etc. We just bought a house.

Last year my husband had a heart attack and he has completely changed from a charming man to a mean man. He has ranted and screamed that he wants a divorce no less than 3 times. My son (14yo) and I try to stay out of the way but, sometimes we end up in his path and we get yelled at. Sometimes I forget and start to yell back - then I realize it's pointless and just shut up and take it.

I hate what my life has become

16 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Almost sounds like the heart attack literally affected his brain. I would suggest he go see his doc for a complete physical. And question him on any comfort he may be having....which could possibly be worrying him unnecessarily. Ensure that you advise the doc of his personality change. Something definitely going on here. Perhaps there's a happy (legal) pill for him. Hang on tight. Sounds like it's been one hellava bumpy ride!

  • 4 years ago

    That option is perfectly legal, and done quite often. The only question is the agreed upon price paid to the wife. Legally, she is usually entiteld to 1/2 the value of the hosue. If the house were sold, she'd get half. So, why shouldn't she get half now? $100,000 home, she gets $50,000. So far as the courts are concerned, the couple can use any amount that they can agree on.. The monthly payment of a number of years is a bad idea. it is very likely that he WON'T pay them, or stop paying them. He needs to consider a second mortgae, in his name only, and pay the full amount to her at one time. Now, in a divorce, getting credit to do this is difficult. So most couple settles for a one-time payment that is significantly lower the 1/2 the value, usually more like 1/6 of the value. it is not "fair" but it does get rid of a lot of the arguments. Note that if this isn't taken care of by the time the case goes to court, the judge can order the house sold, adn the proceeds split 50/50.

  • 1 decade ago

    You said one thing that's very smart - there is no point in yelling back at your husband. Obviously, something has changed with him. Why would you want to stay with a man who screams at you and says he wants a divorce? Why would you do that to your son?? You hate your life, so get out and get a new one! It doesn't matter that you haven't worked in ten years. You can find a job! Do whatever you have to do to get away from this horrible man, keep your son from being a basket case, and find your way to happiness. You deserve better than this. Go out and get it.

    Good luck!

  • 1 decade ago

    You husband is acting out possibly due to having a heart attack.. The majority of men that suffer a heart attack or even heart surgery be come depressed or they have some level of personality change. Your husband and your family could probably use some family counseling to help him make adjustments to his life. A heart attack is a signifcant life changing event. You and your son may need to some counseling or education on this also.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Don't just settle for a man who acts like he's on a menstrual cycle. Once it gets to the point where you have to literally stay off the radar so he won't get angry--you know it's no longer a stable relationship.

    I think you should just get a divorce. You'll do your son a lot of good, too.

  • 1 decade ago

    Tell him that.. don't be afraid because it's coming down to one of three forks in the road...

    Fork a: he changes and you get happy again


    Fork B: He stays the same and you eventually file divorce


    Fork C: You shut up and take it and he files for divorce...

    The mean man was always in there... maybe not as frequent or as strongly but it was there... the heart attack may have scared him but it's no excuse. talk to him about it and if he won't listen... chose your fork!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Check what medication he,s on - an reaction to them. He is also scared , fearful of next attack , an your reaction to changes he has to make. Either "love" the man Support an Care for him Or pack your bags

  • 1 decade ago

    If you dont like your situation why are you considering staying in it?

    This is no life for you or your son. I grew up in a house like was one of the happiest days of my life when my parents seperated. It really can take a toll on young ones.

  • 1 decade ago

    Let him go!! Love is supposed to feel good, not hurt!

    Life is too short to be so unhappy! Plus, you have a child to think about. Do you really want your child growing up in such an unhealthy relationship?

  • And...why don't you give him one?

    This is not a healthy relationship for you to be in or your children to be around. If it's because you just bought a house, that doesn't matter! Find a good lawyer to help you.

    Your life is not going to get better from this point it sounds like..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.