Can you make your list of...?

Overrated guitarists?

Here is my list (I am forgetting many):

Saul Hudson ["Slash"]

Jimmy Page

Kirk Hammett

Herman Li

Eddie Van Halen

Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Dimebag Darrell [Don't hurt me!]

Brian Haner Jr ["Synyster Gates"]

Now, I am not saying that all these guitarists are therefore bad, because they do all have talent. I simply think they are given more credit than they deserve.

1 What do you think of my list?

2 Can I see your list?

Oh, yeah, I forgot:

Yngwie Malmsteen

Kurt Cobain

Michael Angelo Batio

In my opinion:

Something that is overrated gets more credit than they deserve.

Now, who is to say how much credit they deserve? Well that is up to the person who says that the person/thing is overrated. So it boils down to opinion, really.

• Best Answer

Define overrated?

I agree with parts of your list

Those like Eddie Van Halen that basically get all kinds of props for ONE track, and even that is not really that impressive anymore.

or Kurt Cobain, who any reasonable person agrees with mediocre at best when it came to the guitar... there are just too many Noobz who are Latter Day Nirvana fans to except the truth.

But Dimebag? Or Clapton or Hendrix?

No offense dude, but are you out of your ever loving mind?

Hendrix may not be as impressive NOW as he was back then, but he was doing things that NO ONE did at the time. Is it his fault he died at 27, while STILL in the midst of reinventing Rock? ( well.. I guess the dying part sorta is his fault, but still...)

Shred already covered the things that made Dimebag great.... add into the fact thaat unlike a lot of Guitarists, he played multiple Genres of Metal well, and was very precise with his playing, but unlike Malmsteen, still conveyed PASSION through his leads, instead of Sterile Perfection, as Yngwie accomplishes.

And even if one is not a Blues/Rock fan... no one who plays guitar can knock Clapton. He is only behing Stevie Ray in that Genre.

***I also kinda disagree with Hammett...not that I think Hammett is amazing, though he is good.. btu I seldom see anyone aside form DieHard Metallica fanatics actually SAY he is good in the first place. Bashing Metallica members have been such a common pasttime for so ling, I find it hard to say he is overrated.

Now....as for Guitarists who ARE severely overrated......

Dave Mustaine

( not as a Rhythm guitarist, which is is darn good at, but as the Lead Guitarist all the Megadeth apologists try to have made him out to be. I got the Kill Em All Demos... dave might have wrote the Leads... but even though Hammett is overrated as heck, he is and always has been a better Lead guy than Dave. Why do you think Dave had guys like Chris Poland and Marty Friedman?)

Kerry King.

(Was pretty good back in the day, but Hanneman wrote most fo Slayers good stuff, and really what has King done that made you stop and go WOW since Seasons in the Abyss came out?)

Synyster Gates

( well.... having to give yourselves a cheezy World of Warcraft name doesn't help... but even without that... he just isn't very good )

Jim Root

( Slipknot.... do I REALLY need to go into detail here?)

and I could go on and on, but I don't wanna hurt any feelings.

• Fay

Wish List Contact List (who's on your phone, e-mail) Friend List Grocery List To Do List 10 Things To Do Before You Die List... Yeah and that's all I got.

Dimebag? hmm, maybe but the thing with Dimebag is he delivered BOTH epic Metal and epic shredding in my opinion. Maybe if he was one or the other only then yeah I would say Overrated. However, when he started DP they stayed very underground and he was not discussed much anymore as much as when he was doing Pantera. They were playing small bars and clubs not really huge gigs at all. But hey everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I kind of disagree with Clapton too. I mean yeah he got super famous and made A LOT of money but for a Rock/Blues player it doesn't get any better than Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan. I think personally that SRV was better than that whole circle of Rock Blues players. Clapton, Page, Hendrix ect.

My list

NUMBER ONE - Herman Li

The dude is Mr. Clumsy. He can't walk straight or play guitar as precise as it appears. He is the Edit King who gets off on re creating Video Game noises on his guitar. I mean how mentally ill can you get?

The dude is sicker than Jeffrey Dahmer ever was. Li needs serious psychological help for sure.

Synyster Gates

Slash

Tom Morello

Page

Kirk Hamlet

Michael Angelo Batio

Malmsteen? hmm kind of disagree with that too. I mean for his day and when he came along he was doing something NO ONE had ever done before and he took shredding to the next level from the old timers Blackmore and Roth.

Good list, I disagree with Hendrix and Dimebag though. They get a lot of credit, all of which is deserved.

Slash

Tony Iommi

Kurt Cobain

Tom Morello

Kirk Hammet

David Gilmour

Yngwie Malmsteen

Synyster Gaytes

Herman Li

People I'm expecting other people to say: Buckethead

Steve Vai

John Petrucci

Joe Satriani

Zakk Wylde

1 Great in the main, but Imo Hendrix is the greatest to ever live and Clapton is like 4th, they can't be overrated.

2 Sure

Kurt Cobain

Buckethead

Eddie Van Halen

Slash

Herman Li

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Tom Morrello

Buckethead

Cobain (for sure)

I don't think Hendrix and Clapton are overrated though, they deserve all the hype they get.

Ooo, you better watch out for the Pantera fans... Duck!

Disagree with Page and Hendrix.

Slash

Kurt Cobain

Angus Young (I love him, but...meh)

Eric Clapton

Kirk Hammet

Agreed with Eddie Van Halen too... He was good, but I think Eruption made everybody think he was better than he was, if that makes any sense what so ever...

Eric Clapton

Brian May

Kurt Cobain

Yngwie Malmsteen

Michael Angelo Batio

Underrated (Or unknown):

Allan Holdsworth (U.K., Soft Machine, solo)

Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings, Transatlantic)

Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

Steve Hackett (Genesis, solo)

Alan Morse (Spock's Beard)

Epic fail on the TDers, I don't think they saw the part where I said, "Underrated", I was making a list for that too.

• MDB

Cobain isn't renowned for his guitar playing, even he acknowledged how poor it was.

He is iconic because of the attitude he emulated, as well as his writing style, along with the message (or lack thereof) to be found within.

Source(s): Only answered to clarify.

1. Pretty Accurate

2. Add Carlos Santana