brinsey72 asked in SportsGolf · 1 decade ago

why do women tee off in front of men in golf?

why do women tee off in front of men in golf

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Generally speaking, women tee off from the FORWARD tees ("women's tees is outdated) because they aren't as strong as male golfers.

The idea is so that everyone has the same club to hit going to the green. For example, if someone teeing off from the whites has a 7 iron in, so should the person from the reds. That's another generalization, but that is the idea behind the concept.

This isn't a hard and fast rule, however- if a girl can drive her ball 220-250 (or more), she should move back to the whites, or maybe the blues. It isn't fair for someone from the whites to have a 6 iron in while the person from the reds is hitting a PW. This works in reverse, as well- if a guy only drives it about 210, he should play from the reds.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, for everybody saying that girls cant hit as far as boys, your craaaaaaaazy fools :)

im a 16 yr. old girl, and I tee off from the Men's tee's when playing with my boyfriend, and I am capable of driving the ball just as far, if not, further than him!

But yes, tradition, in the older days when women were first allowed to play golf, they set up new tee blocks because they were slower, and weaker than the men that had been playing for a while.

• gary m4 years agoReport

well if you ever play pro you're going to hit from the 40 boxes LPGA has moved up the tee box

• 1 decade ago

It's not just women who tee off from the forward tees, it's also senior players and those players with higher handicaps. A handicap is a rating of how many strokes it normally takes you to complete a 9 or 18 hole round of golf, and your handicap adjusts your score to even par. This makes it fair for anyone with a higher handicap to play with a lower handicap and still be competitive. It is calculated using the "slope" and "rating" of that particular course which will then tell you which set of tees from which you are best suited to play. This is called a "course" handicap. Total yardage of the course from each set of tees is considered too. For instance, let's say there are 5 sets of tees (this is a typical configuration): Black, blue, white, red, and yellow. If you are a 0-5 handicap, you can handle the yardage from the back tees. 5-10 handicap? Use the blue tees. 10-15 handicap use the white tees, and so on. The USGA does, however, say that the "red" tees are rated for "gender", so typically the ladies play from that set of tees. However, if you're a lady with a single digit handicap, you might want to play the course from a more challenging set of tees, since the rules allow for that. They also allow for men to play from the ladies' tees, however they're required to give their playing partners "strokes" to make the game "equitable". Good luck and replace your divots and ball marks.

• 1 decade ago

This isn't necessarily the case. The forward tees is the official name of the 1st set of tees. It used to be called the women's tees since traditionally women don't hit the ball as far as men. However, some men need to lose their egos and hit from that tee since their games don't warrant them hitting from other tees. Some women can outdrive certain men.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • googie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

When women were first allowed to play, new tees were constructed ahead of the mens' tees to make up for the slower swing speeds of the women. Ordinarily women are not as strong as men and forward tees make the course more playable. You will note that the LPGA usually plays the regular men's tees in their scheduled events.

• 1 decade ago

cant believe some of the nonsense that has been written here, esp from the usa posters. You play from the 'yellow' tees if a man, 'white' are merit tees (comps) and red is ladies and juniors. As a high handicapper i would never tee off from the red, that is my handicapp from the yellows. Incidently some of the red tees are behind the yellow tees on many courses.

• 4 years ago

Another couple of golf joke oldies: A couple of guys are playing a round of golf that bordered a highway. Just a one of them is about to tee off, a funeral procession drives by. The man stands respectfully until the last car passes and then turns back to the game. The second said, "Gee Carl, I never knew you were so considerate to the dead." "Well, it only seemed right - after all, we were married for 30 years." A man returns home after a day on the golf course. His wife asks, "How was your game, dear?" "Terrible! I was playing the round with my old buddy Fred and he suffered a heart attack on the second green and died!" "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear it, honey. Are you OK?" "Yeah, just a little tired. For the rest of the round, it was hit the ball and drag Fred, hit the ball and drag Fred..."

• 1 decade ago

they do this because men can hit farther than women so they send the men back so they will be at about the same place with the women after their tee shot.

• Justin
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The idea is that women don't hit the ball as far as men. You can look at the pro-leagues as evidence of this.

Yeah, yeah... it might not be true in some random example - we are deal with generalizations here.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Women dont hit the ball as far

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.