salve!
salve! asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Math Major? Environmental Engineer?

definitely want to major in mathematics, but I also wanted to double major to extend my possibilities. I was thinking of possibly going into environmental engineering. I was really thinking of double majoring in math and environmental science. Would this be a good idea? If you know anything about environmental engineering could you give me some input. Thanks in advance for any help.

Favorite Answer

The guy above me does not know what he is talking about, I am really confused on his thought that environmental engineering from a top school is "as far from math" as you can get. Truthfully, environmental engineers have to study equal to Civil Engineers but more classes on top of it. It is less math intensive than say mechanical or electrical, but you still have to take all the undergrad coursework they do. He is an idiot, that really has no idea. Let me provide you some examples of classes you may have to take. I majored in environmental engineering, and I am pursuing a MS in environmental engineering at a top school.

If you think environmental engineering does not require math, then ok, but here are some examples of classes you will have to take:

-Fluid Mechanics

-Thermondynamics

-Computer Programming, Fortran or equivalent (very difficult for non computer science majors)

-Calc I, II, III

- Mechanics of Materials

-Statics

-Dynamics

-Environmental Monitoring and Statistics

-Modeling of environmental systems, surface water, ground water etc,

-Applied Hydraulics

-Hydrology

-Waste water treatment

-Building Energy Analysis

-Solar Energy Design

-Wetland hydrology

-Contaminant Fate & Transport

-Electronics Instrumentation and Magnetism

and about a dozen more

EVERY single one of these classes has advanced level math, and I would suggest that you DO NOT study Engineering if you are not ready to spend the next 4-5 years working your *** off.

Good luck!

Double majoring usually does not help out at all, i recommend a mathematical biology pathway (limited math, mostly biology).

You cannot go into an environmental program later in life without a lot of biology/environmental courses, and you will not have enough time to take all the courses required for both majors.

They are pretty different, i.e. math is math, and environmental engineering is about as far from math as you could get in an engineering discipline.

Having a math degree will still give you a lot of versatility, but any engineering degree would give you more in the world of engineering fields. That is to say, it is easier to transfer in grad school to a different engineering discipline, than it is to transfer in from a math discipline (you will need to take many courses to catch up).