basic web design-html, where do the style sheets go?

Hi!

I have my 1st year web design exam tomorrow (i can drop it next year so i just want to barely pass!)

I can do the html, and i can put in syle rules WITHIN the html i.e <style>....</style> but i was reading my notes and it says that it shouldn't be within the html markup but in a different syyle sheet. I am wondering, where do you put this? Do you just do it at the top lets say, and then add a link in the html or something? How do you start it, there's also half an example in my notes and it starts (or ends....can't remember!) with an exclamation mark

Could someone please help me! thanks!

Favorite Answer

I believe your instructions used the import method, not the link method others have tried to describe.

1. Create a plain-text document. Name it styles.css Make sure it ends in the .css file extension.

2. Copy all your styles inside the <style> tag into styles.css Do NOT copy the style opening and closing HTML tags; only the CSS between them.

3. Inside the style HTML tags, replace the styles with:

<!--

@import url("styles.css")

-->

4. Upload your amended HTML and styles.css to the same directory.

You normally do it by linking an external stylesheet inside the head of your document (<link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

), and applying your styles/formatting inside.

I have a sample I use on here to help beginners out, you can download it here http://files.cogocreative.co.uk/sample.zip

Just take a look at the div id's and class names and how the stylesheet is used to contol the layout.

A style sheet has to be a different file named something.css

It needs to be placed in the document root of your site.

• mae

Our business employer is determined for builders - not my sturdy aspect to be straightforward and in no way confident what they're searching for - yet they could be prepared to allow you to coach on the pastime in case you may instruct your well worth. depending Notts.

if you need some brushing tips have a look at the following site it will go over all the basic and the great thing is that you try everything out from the site ..

http://www.w3schools.com/

good luck & all the best .