R&P: If you were to make a compilation album of songs with great guitar work, what...?
...15 to 30 songs would you include?
The songs can be from ANY genre by ANY kind of a guitarist, whether it's slide guitar, finger picking, etc. Of course, things like pedal steel won't count! Anyway, try and pick at least 15 songs and no more than 30.
And, keep in mind, the more diverse the songs you choose, the more likely I'll be to choose your answer as best answer.
Also, the year of release does not matter either.
Josh: Jeff Beck does kick ***! FireHouse's guitarist, Bill Leverty, cites Jeff Beck as his all-time favorite guitarist.
Josh (Reds 20-15): Ahh--I love Paisley's PLAY! The readers of Guitar Player Magazine actually voted it as the best guitar album of 2008...of course, Guitar Player gave it a weird title like, "most ferociously bad guitar album of 2008," or something weird like that! I must agree with whoever voted on that!
Since a number people have answered now, I shall make my own list, which is in no particular order:
1. "Suitcase (live)" by Badfinger [lead guitar by Pete Ham]
2. "Satan's Doll" by Chet Atkins
3. "The Claw" by Jerry Reed
4. "Minor Swing" by Django Reinhardt
5. "Jingles" by Wes Montgomery
6. "Slidin' Home" by Danny Gatton
7. "Country Boy" by Albert Lee
8. "Brand New Strings" by Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder [acoustic guitar by Cody Kilby; electric guitar by Johnny Hiland]
9. "Burnin' the Honky Tonks Down" by Alan Jackson [guitar by session guitarist Brent Mason]
10. "Little Wing" by Monte Montgomery
11. "Holiday" by Scorpions
12. "Misirlou" by Dick Dale
13. "The Buck Stops Here" by Redd Volkaert
14. "Luxury Liner" by Albert Lee feat. Vince Gill (guitar, mandolin) and Brad Paisley (guitar)
15. "Uberesso" by Sonny Landreth
16. "Room 335" by Larry Carlton
17. "Comin' Home Baby" by Melvin Taylor
18. "Throttleneck" by Brad Paisley
There's so many more I'm forgetting, but there's mine...
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Drunkship Of Lanterns - The Mars Volta
Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Little Cream Soda - The White Stripes
Thickfreakness - The Black Keys
The Thing That Should Not Be - Metallica
Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group
Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong - T-Bone Walker
Damn Right I've Got The Blues - Buddy Guy
Have Love, Will Travel - The Sonics
1969 - The Stooges
Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley
Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
The Thrill Is Gone - B.B King
Always On The Run - Lenny Kravitz
November Rain - Guns N Roses
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Highway Star - Deep Purple
Bulls On Parade - Rage Against The Machine
Alive - Pearl Jam
Cortez The Killer - Neil Young
I'm probably forgetting some songs that deserve to be on there, but that's my list
- Drop Dead FredLv 71 decade ago
My list - guitarist/s in brackets
1. I Am The Resurrection - The Stone Roses (John Squire)
2. Tattooed Love Boys - The Pretenders (James Honeyman-Scott)
3. Telegraph Road - Dire Straits (Mark Knopfler)
4. Can't Stand Losing You - The Police (Andy Summers)
5. Green Onions - Booker T. & the M.G's (Steve Cropper)
6. Rosanna - Toto (Steve Lukather)
7. Let Me Love You - Jeff Beck (Jeff Beck)
8. Time Was - Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell/Ted Turner)
9. Scratch My Back - The Fabulous Thunderbirds (Jimmie Vaughan)
10. In Every Dream Home A Heartache - Roxy Music (Phil Manzanera)
11. How Soon Is Now - The Smiths (Johnny Marr)
12. Station To Station - David Bowie (Carlos Alomar)
13. Walk Don't Run - The Ventures (Bob Bogle)
14. Apache - The Shadows (Hank Marvin)
15. Hot Hot Hot!!! - The Cure (Porl Thompson)
16. My Old School - Steely Dan (Denny Diaz)
17. The Back Of Love - Echo & The Bunnymen
18. (The System of) Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether - The Alan Parsons Project (John Miles)
- Waltzing MatildaLv 51 decade ago
1 For the Love of God - Steve Vai
2 Even Flow - Pearl Jam
3 Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers - ZZ Top
4 Samba Pa Ti - Santana
5 Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny
6 The Nervous Breakdown - Brad Paisley
7 Beat It - Michael Jackson (EVH on guitar)
8 Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley
9 Family Affair - Sly & the Family Stone
10 Far Beyond the Sun - Yngwie Malmsteen
11 Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
12 Roundabout - Yes
13 Rude Mood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
14 Sister Morphine - The Rolling Stones
15 Fade to Black - Metallica
16 Limehouse Blues - Django Reinhardt
17 Cortez the Killer - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
18 Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
19 Meeting of the Spirits - Mahavishnu Orchestra
20 Plush - Stone Temple Pilots
21 Five Long Years - Eric Clapton
22 I Believe I'll Dust My Broom - Robert Johnson
23 Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
24 Erotomania - Dream Theater
25 Mountain Song - Jane's Addiction
26 Moonlight in Vermont - Johnny Smith
27 Electioneering - Radiohead
28 Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin
29 Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
30 Mediterranean Sundance - Al DiMeola
- Anonymous1 decade ago
Stevie Ray Vaughn - Couldn't Stand the Weather
Joe Satriani - If I Could Fly
Joe Satriani - Musterion
Yngwie Malmsteen - Flamenco Diablo
Paul Gilbert - Three Es for Edward
Paul Gilbert - Gilberto Concerto
Paul Gilbert - Bultaco Saturne
Paul Gilbert - Let the Computer Decide
Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness
George Thorogood - I Drink Alone
BB King - Blues Boys Tune
Django Reinhardt - The Sheik of Araby
Richie Sambora - Rosie
Paco de Lucia - Impetu & Panaderos
Javier Conde - Flamenco 0
Marco Sfogli - Andromeda
Steve Vai - Juice
Steve Vai - Tender Surrender
Eric Johnson - A Song for Life
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Lonnie PLv 71 decade ago
Classical Gas -- Mason Williams
Green Grass and High Tides -- Outlaws
Free Bird -- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Something to Hold On To -- Jeff Healy
Fall of the Peacemakers -- Molly Hatchet
Layla -- Derek and the Dominos
Thunderstruck -- AC/DC
Operator -- Jim Croce
Tiger Rag -- Chet Atkins
Sultans of Swing -- Dire Straits
Hotel California (acoustic version) -- Eagles
Waterhole -- Outlaws
The Core -- Eric Clapton
Don't Cross the River -- America
Scuttlebutt -- Stevie Ray Vaughn
South City Midnight Lady -- Doobie Bros.
Big Love -- Fleetwood Mac
Back in the Saddle -- Aerosmith
Sandman -- America
Twenty-One -- Eagles
Bad Time -- Grand Funk Railroad
Locomotive Breath -- Jethro Tull
Cold Gin -- Kiss
Rock Steady -- Bad Company
Linus and Lucy -- Gary Hoey
- 1 decade ago
It already exists in the form of three albums:
Truth - Jeff Beck
Blow by Blow - Jeff Beck
Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop - Jeff Beck
Edit: I know, he is fantastic. As far as instrumental rock goes, though, Steve Vai is fantastic and isn't all speed either, he has some great blues stuff. Eric Johnson is great too, but Jeff Beck is the master. I saw him earlier this year live at the Brisbane Convention Centre, which was a really small venue. It was fantastic.
- 1 decade ago
I'll have to edit, I know way too many
Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd
Panic Attack-Dream Theatre
Purple Haze (live)-Jimi Hendrix
Hey Joe-Jimi Hendrix
Fade To Black-Metallica
Stairway to Heaven(I know, predictable)-Led Zeppelin
Shine On you Crazy Diamond(all)-Pink Floyd
The Thrill is Gone-BB King(Simple, but Beautiful)
The Ballad of John Henry-Joe Bonamassa (I know better, just can't think right now)
Sleep Now In The Fire-Rage Against the Machine.
Black Bird-The Beatles
Layla-Eric Clapton(How could I have over looked it)
- 1 decade ago
1. Surfing With the Alien-- Joe Satriani (instrumental rock)
2. As I Am-- Dream Theater (prog metal)
3. Genius in France-- Weird Al (yes, I'm serious... Dweezil Zappa does guitar work for that song, LOL)
4. Thunderstruck-- AC/DC (classic rock)
5. Gettin' Dangerous-- Axel Rudi Pell (melodic hard rock)
6. Godzilla-- Blue Oyster Cult (classic rock)
7. Foreplay/Long Time-- Boston (classic rock)
8. Leaving All Behind-- Cellador (speed/power metal)
9. Dream Chaser-- Crystal Eyes (power metal)
10. Scavenger of Human Sorrow-- Death (death metal)
11. Highway Star-- Deep Purple (classic rock)
12. Metal Meltdown-- Judas Priest (speed metal)
13. The Parallel Otherworld-- Eidolon (progressive thrash)
14. Hit the Lights-- Metallica (thrash)
15. Violence and Force-- Exciter (thrash)
16. Civil War-- Guns N' Roses (hard rock)
17. Somewhere In Time-- Iron Maiden (NWOBHM)
18. Hangar 18-- Megadeth (thrash)
19. I-- Meshuggah (post-thrash)
20. Ace of Spades-- Motorhead (classic rock)
21. Comfortably Numb-- Pink Floyd (classic rock)
22. Promised Land-- Silent Force (power metal)
23. Hell Awaits-- Slayer (thrash)
24. New Damage-- Soundgarden (grunge)
25. Texas Flood-- Stevie Ray Vaughan (blues rock)
26. Speed Metal Symphony-- Cacaphony (instrumental speed metal)
27. Set the World On Fire-- Symphony X (progressive power metal)
28. Winter Madness-- Wintersun (melo-death metal)
29. Heart of the Sunrise-- Yes (prog rock)Source(s): Whew, barely made it. :P But I know this would be a 2-CD compilation, AT LEAST. Some of these mothers are looooong. XD That Meshuggah song is 21 minutes!
- 1 decade ago
I shall pick my songs and write some notes about 'em.
1 Triumph - "Suitcase Blues"
Jazz chords, great melodic lines by Rik Emmett
2 Metallica - "Seek and Destroy"
Thrash, fast messy guitar solo, great riffs
3 The Outlaws - "Green Grass and High Tides"
One of my favorite solos ever. Period.
4 Jason Becker - "Air"
Clean two part Classical guitar harmony. Brilliant
5 Jason Becker - "Altitudes"
One of my favorite songs of all time. Brilliant Classically influenced tune.
6 Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Texas Flood"
Great blues guitar. RIP SRV
7 Ozzy Osbourne - "Dee"
Randy Rhoads solo. Acoustic fingerpicking. Amazing song.
8 Yngwie Malmsteen - "Icarus' Dream Suite Opus 4"
Epic neo-classical piece. Fast solo, acoustic lines. Fav Malmsteen song.
9 Eric Johnson - "Manhattan"
A little jazz influenced. Great song, one of my favorites of this player.
10 Paganini's Grand Sonata for violin and guitar
Favorite classical guitar song. Simply amazing.
11 Black Sabbath - "Into the Void"
One of my favorite Stoner/Doom Metal songs. Great tone, riffs,etc
12 Steve Vai - "Tender Surrender"
Favorite Vai song. Beautiful solo, somewhat jazzy, great song overall.
13 Electric Sun - "Electric Sun"
Funky at parts, great solos. Very Hendrix-influenced.
14 Al DiMeola - "Flight Over Rio"
Sort of like Jazz-Fusion. Great guitar/keyboard lines/solos
15 Django Reinhardt - "Limehouse Blues"
I love Limehouse Blues, and I especially love Django's jazz guitar version.
16 Metallica - "(Anasthesia) Pulling Teeth"
You never specified the type of guitar! This is an awesome Cliff Burton bass solo with awesome distortion.
I will edit if I think of more!
- Anonymous1 decade ago
"Wired" by Jeff Beck (Jeff Beck)
"Toussaint L'Overture" by Santana (Carlos Santana & Neal Schon)
"Evil Eye" by Yngwie Malmsteen (Yngwie)
"Don't Walk Away" by Zebra (Randy Jackson)
"One" by Metallica (Kirk Hammett)
"Midnight Madness" by Sinergy (Alexi Laiho)
"The Fire And The Fury" by Firewind (Gus G)
"Surfing With The Alien" by Joe Satriani (Joe Satriani)
"Achilles Last Stand" by led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page)
"The Sails Of Charon" by The Scorpions (Uli Jon Roth)
"Love To Love" by UFO (Micheal Schenker)
"Children Of The Earth" by Praying Mantis (Chris Burgess & Tino Troy)
"Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City by Whitesnake (Mickey Moody & Bernie Marsden)
"Rock & Roll Machine" by Triumph (Rik Emmitt)
"Woman From Tokyo" by Deep Purple (Richie Blackmore)
"Megalomania" by Black Sabbath (Tony Iommi)
"Mr Crwoley" by Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhodes)
"She Wolf" by Megadeth (Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman)